New oak floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an oak floor laid in my living room (5m x 4m).
The strips I've been considering are 130mm x 18mm.

My fitter has indicated that he would lift the existing pine floor and lay the strips directly on to the joists, (18" centres).

For this approach what would you recommend as the minimum length of the strips for overall structural strength.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Rule of thumb: every board needs to connect with at least 5 joists and joists not further apart than 30 - 35cm.
(No need for every board to 'end' up on a joists.

Rule of thumb: every board needs to connect with at least 5 joists and joists not further apart than 30 - 35cm.
(No need for every board to 'end' up on a joists.
Typo! !

Should be at least 3 joists, not 5! Sorry

Thanks, WYL,

Seems then that in my case I'd be looking for a minimum strip length of roughly 1.5m, to cover three joists.
Are there any pack suppliers that do such a minimum length guarantee, or alternatively what is the most economical way to purchase strips so that they are no shorter than say 1.5 m.

Sponsored Links
We do ;)
But some - well, many - suppliers who offer solid 18mm thick below or around £ 30.00 sq m put many short lengths in the packs - 50% shorter than 700mm - so be aware.

ok, will need to do a bit of research here. I suppose also from appearance and ease of laying aspects, then decent size lengths would be preferable.
thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back