Solid oak flooring on top of wooden floorboards (floating?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for a great forum. I've had a look around here but don't think I've yet found a conclusive view on the best approach to take in my situation, so some guidance is greatly appreciated!

I have some 130mm x 18mm solid oak flooring that I want to lay on existing floorboards in my living room which is 4m x 3.8m.

The existing floorboards are pretty even so I'd really like to avoid laying plywood over them.

A couple of questions:

1. Is it ok to float the oak flooring or will I need to secret nail it?

2. Should I use an underlay or just go wood on wood?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers, adam.

Sponsored Links
If your existing floorboards are level you only need to install plywood if you plan to install the new boards in the same direction as the existing boards. Make sure you glue all T&G's properly

When floating, ALWAYS use an underlayment (only the foam type in your case, DON'T use a DPM combi underlayment)

If your existing floorboards are level you only need to install plywood if you plan to install the new boards in the same direction as the existing boards. Make sure you glue all T&G's properly

When floating, ALWAYS use an underlayment (only the foam type in your case, DON'T use a DPM combi underlayment)

Hi WoodYouLike. May i ask why not use combined DPM/foam type underlay? Is it just because it is not needed or is there a reason you must not do that?

I ask as our floorboards are above the garage and using a moisture meter they are currently at around 15 - 16 % MC

the boards will sweat if you lay a dpm over the top. Your wood moister reading are high. Maybe a vapoir barrier below them is needed or better air flow? You could use tar paper over the floorboards, but this dont fix the high moister you already have.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The strange thing is that one of the pine floorboards can be 16% while the one right next to it reads 13%. I just found one that was as high as 18%. These are really old boards (about 30 years old). Just as a note, we have had the walls re-plastered about 3 weeks ago now and all the radiators have been removed from the room. Maybe this could be the cause? (although the doors to the rest of the house have always been open)

While checking the actual Acacia wooden floor boards, i found a dicrepency between each board. Some were ~15% and others were ~10%

yes, wet plaster and no heat is the problem, get the heating on before you do some damage. What meter are you using to take the moister readings? Sounds duff to me, it should not read different between to boards side by side.

That was my first thought but multiple readings from the same plank show consistent results. although, the difference i pointed out above in in the most extreme case. Most are 2 - 3 % difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back