New Oak Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of information gathering on putting a new oak strip floor down in a ground floor room, 3 metres by 4 metres, which has a concrete base. The Oak is 120mm wide, random lengths and 18mm deep. It has been suggested that the best method to install it would be to fix a base of 18mm Ply (BB/CC WPB) which comes in 2.44 metre by 1.22 metres and nail the Oak to this through the tongues using a suitable floor nailer.

What fixings do you suggest for the ply going into a concrete base and can anyone advise on where and whether DPM is required? I'm thinking that if it goes under the ply then will be it be compromised when the fixings are made into the concrete base.

Sponsored Links
If you want to use ply over concrete you'll have to either use counter sunk screws every 25 cm or cut the ply in small sheets and fully bond them with flexible adhesive.
But..... your nails - if you plan to install you floor secret nailed - will be 50 - 60mm long and definitely hit the concrete, not fixing the floorboards at all!

I suspect your 120mm wide board in random lengths will be 300 - 1200mm? Have you opened a box yet to discover how many short lengths it contains??? Solid Floors - what to note, beware of the Short end of the stick/board

A better option would be to use self-adhesive underlayment (Elastilon) ontop of a DPM sheet and to stay away from nailing, screwing and damaging your concrete floor for no reason at all.

Thanks for the in WYL, taking a look at web site now. Presumably if we go down the Elastilon route the floor is of a floating mode?

Not exactly, more a case of fully bonding onto a "floating" underlayment.

Sponsored Links
Was reviewing Florence Solid Rustic Oak Flooring 120mm Width Lacquered is 120mm wide, 18mm in thickness and comes in random lengths of between 400mm - 1500mm.
From your info of your website are you advising that it would be better to have a similar plank, 120mm wide, 18mm in thickness. which are mainly come in lengths of between 600mm - 1800mm with a couple of boards @ 1800mm lengths?

Just spoke to my Joiner who tells me Elastilon is a non-starter for this type of floor.He intends to glue and pin to ply subfloor.

Sorry, but don't agree with your joiner. How long will the nails be he is going to use??? Very important question to ask - 18mm ply is not sufficient and will leave you with a clattering floor.

A 38mm nail will penetrate through an 18mm floor to a depth of 15mm,so that should be OK.I'm at a loss as to why he needs to use glue though.If the flooring is nailed @ 300mm o/c there's no need to 'glue' as well.
mack

Elastion is a none starter in everyones book apart from elastions.. !!

You do need a DPM which should be in the form of f-ball f75 or f76.. www.f-ball.com. Then lay a screed, water or latex based, (see f-ball website) then trowel spread adhesive (f-ball B93). If your joiner isn't farmiliar with these products, find someone who is.. to avoid costly mistakes.

There is no need for ply and nailing at risk to your DPM.

Loads would disagree with you and is certain circumstances it is the best solution, specially with "cheap offers" having to be installed on crummy underfloors.

A 38mm nail will penetrate through an 18mm floor to a depth of 15mm,so that should be OK.I'm at a loss as to why he needs to use glue though.If the flooring is nailed @ 300mm o/c there's no need to 'glue' as well.
mack

What type of fixing wouod you recommend for fixing the ply to the concrete floor, taking into account it's 4mx3M in area?

Without seeing the situation I can't recommend what type of fixing.You certainly wouldn't want to compromise the DPM.You say you have a joiner, what does he plan?
mack

[WYL, show me the loads who disagree and don't forget your southern, smarmy, i know it all wink !! ;)

quote="WoodYouLike";p="1554453"]
Loads would disagree with you and is certain circumstances it is the best solution, specially with "cheap offers" having to be installed on crummy underfloors.[/quote]

Officially I'm South-Westerly - South-West Netherlands, only since 2000 South-East UK ;) But not sure what does has got to do with anything?

Without seeing the situation I can't recommend what type of fixing.You certainly wouldn't want to compromise the DPM.You say you have a joiner, what does he plan?
mack

Not sure but we reckon he should be sealing the floor with some sort of dpm resin as I can't see the point of a plastic DPM which would be compromised by the ply being fixed through this to the base.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back