Am I getting a good deal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just want to check how much this should roughly cost? As I am getting the below done from a family friend builder. Below is a general list of what I'm getting done.

1. First Floor extension (3 metres out, 3.5 metres wide) including materials, and pitched roof.
2. Knock out internal wall which separates a dining room and utility room (4meters long).
3. New Kitchen fitted (remove old). 8 units around kitchen, one island with 4 units.
4. Extend front porch by 3 metres x1.1m (incl materials)
5. New bathroom fitted (3m x 1.8m), one wall unit, one sink unit + bath, + 1 radiator.
6. Repaint whole house (paint supplied by us). 3 bed semi-detached.
7. All ground floor new tiling/wooden flooring fitting. (porch tiling 3x1.1m, kitchen tiling 4m x 3m, hallway tiling 3m x1m, 2 rooms wooden flooring 4m x 5m each)
8. New small cloakroom toilet fitted under stairs (approx 1mx 2m)

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nearly everyone of those you have listed can have a massive variation in price depending on so many factors.

Number 6 repaint whole house if you live in a 1 bedroom end of terrace it's going to be a different job to a 6 bedroom detached. No one can give a rough price with the info you have given.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, very helpful.

Sorry, but he's right. You'd normally have a set of plans to work from to cost an extension. You've supplied a couple of figures, but the rest is working blind; Is it a 3 bed house being painted, or a 6 bed property, and the porch goes out by 2m, but how wide is it, and how long are the steels, and what's the size of them. It's not only question of how long is a piece of string, but what colour is it as well.

Nearly everyone of those you have listed can have a massive variation in price depending on so many factors.

Number 6 repaint whole house if you live in a 1 bedroom end of terrace it's going to be a different job to a 6 bedroom detached. No one can give a rough price with the info you have given.
thanks - i;ve added a little more detail, just need rough ranges for each or whole job. I will be asking people to come around for quotes as well, but just thought get a head start, I've very little knowledge on this subject.

As it's the local builders that will be doing the work, so you need to compare their quotes, and work from there. Someone on here may well tell you your're being overcharged, but if they didn't lower their quotes, then their price is the one you have to accept.

But family friend builder can ruin a friendship if things go wrong, and you've no real idea of the quality of the work that he'll do for you.

OK, is it sisal, polyethylene or another type of string?
Do you want it best quality or just any ole string?
Is it OK to have knots in it?

Give us a damn clue! what sort of figures are you looking at now?

Do you want the people here to give you a quote based on that list? really?
Let them know how much you have been quoted and they can tell you if your getting a good deal, if its priced about right, too high, too low (usually meaning it will be a crap job) etc.

Please don't ask them to put out a figure based on a simple list that has way too many variables.

I'll chuck one at you - Ill do it all for £87,000 :)

I'll give you a stab at 2. I had two four meter walls and other smaller bits knocked down and removed for £800 cash plus two eight yard skips filled with rubble @£450 a skip so I would go for £900 bare minimum

Re. your porch I built my own at 3x2m and its taken me some weeks and cost me I guess around £1500 in materials so if you add in labour time I would say somewhere between 3-6k depending on how much profit is to be made and what finish you are expecting

Some of your other projects are pure guesswork, flooring and bathroom units vary so much in price you would need to know what you wanted!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back