Am I on shared water supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bought a new proParty where I am only getting 17 litres flow rate. My neighbour says he has low pressure and needed to buy a pressure pump. Attached is water map from conveyance search solicited when we bought house. Does it suggest we are on a shared water supply?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 277
Sponsored Links
It doesn't suggest that no. 17 litres per minute flow is adequate. What is your water pressure? Are you having any problems with anything water related?

Depend on age of your house. Check if there is a stopcock cover outside your house, somewhere near the path on on the path. If there is, turn off and check if you have running water or not and also check your neighbor as well to be sure not on the shared supply.

If your neighbor has low pressure, it could be that the supply to them has a leak underground.

Daniel.

It doesn't suggest that no. 17 litres per minute flow is adequate. What is your water pressure? Are you having any problems with anything water related?
Because I have a large 5 bedroom house with 11 radiator and 3 showers and I wanted to get a unvented cylinder.

My water pressure is 3.1 bar

Sponsored Links
More than plenty for an unvented cylinder. radiators don't even come into it since the radiator water circuit is a closed loop and not fed directly off the incoming mains water pressure.

An unvented cylinder will work at any mains pressure. How well or how in line with your expectations is the most important thing to think about. At 3.1 bar, that's going to be a much increased pressure at your hot tap outlets over a tank fed cylinder unless you have a bloomin massive tall building for a house with the header tank at the very top.

As for flow, I can't comment how much better it would be since we don't know what flow rate your getting off your hot water cylinder and associated pipework at present.

At 17 litres per minute and 3.1 bar I can't see there being any problem. The minimum legal requirement as far as I recall is 0.3 bar on the mains so the water company won't really be interested as it looks likely there's nothing wrong.

Basically to cut a long explanation short, an unvented cylinder will flow 17 litres per min at 3.1 bar on your mains supply. So whatever the flow and pressure is like from your cold taps now then that is what your hot taps will be like on the unvented cylinder. The mains flow and pressure drives the hot water with an unvented.

Mybwat
Basically to cut a long explanation short, an unvented cylinder will flow 17 litres per min at 3.1 bar on your mains supply. So whatever the flow and pressure is like from your cold taps now then that is what your hot taps will be like on the unvented cylinder. The mains flow and pressure drives the hot water with an unvented.
Thanks for this. On another thread I asked what system i should use, they said to use a unvented cylinder you need at least 22LPM. so i am now confused.

My Neighbour said he has low pressure and had to fit pressure tank. and i noticed a expansion tank just before loft extension in our new property. so this all lead me to believe i should explore options such as dig for a new pipe.

Severn trent are coming tommorow for a pressure test. Hopefully this will provide a more accurate reading. I tested from first tap.

my water pressure does flucates - sometimes it can be 2.6 bar with 15LPM - is this still ok?

You won't get out more than you put in. If you want a higher flow rate you'll either need to upgrade your main, or install an accumulator

17 lpm isn't exactly low flow for a domestic supply....

The reason some people won't install if the pressure and flow figures are less than what the manufacturer recommends is not because it won't work, it's because they don't want phone calls when the job is done saying it's not working properly when the customer is expecting hot geezers exploding from each hot outlet with them all turned on at the same time, but in actually fact it's not that good and below expectations.

Cheaper solution would be to stick with the set up you have and run shower pumps for your 2 showers....

I notice there is a expansion vessel between first floor at loft? Why is this???

Could I just install a pressure pump next to boiler and cylinder(which sits at base of house)?

The expansion vessel will likely be for your central heating.

It's impossible to say what you will need to do. A plumber would be best to come and have a look and to say what's the best way to achieve what you need

An open pipe flow rate of 17 li/min is below the recommended minimum for an unvented.

But its not the open pipe flow rate which is relevant. It is the dynamic flow rate which leaves say 1.0 bar pressure in the pipework.

So the minimum recommended is about 22 li/min @ 1.0 bar.

So yo0u will either need an upgraded mains supply pipe or an accumulator for a limited period of better flow rate.

But many plumbers don't understand this either. But I think that it is well explained in the FAQ on this site.

Tony

Megaflow recommended a minimum of 20 litres litres per minute and 1.5 bar mains incoming pressure. They don't stipulate static or open pipe pressure.

It will still work at less than 20 litres per minute and less than 1.5 bar. It's physics. You just won't get the performance that the unit is capable of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back