Am I too fussy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some plastering done and am not sure if I am too fussy or whether he has done a cr@p job.
The work was for skimming over artex ceilings and plasterboard walls. I asked for a quote and didn't haggle on the price (in fact I paid him more than he originally quoted due to time for us to get the work ready so he had to come back late to finish)
Anyway - there are numerous 'scrape' marks and ridges in the plaster which I have only noticed now I am painting. Is this the usual standard or have I been taken for a ride? I wondered if I shouldn't have told him I was going to put it up for sale when finished! :(

Sponsored Links
i've had plastering done twice, each time covering artex of about the same lumpiness. first time, it was left in a right mess with loads of marks from tools, especially near edges, plastered over bits of skirting, light switches etc.

the next time (different person) it was left completely smooth, clean edges etc. I didn't need to fill anything before painting. it was the finish the second time which made me realise how bad the first lot was -- bad enough that we have considered having it skimmed again!

OH spent all day yesterday sanding and filling so unfortunately pictures now would not show the extent of how bad it was. Next time I have anything done I will not pay until I have inspected and am satisfied!
Obviously I am not the only one to have hit and miss workman!

Sponsored Links
Hi, this is exactly what im looking at having done. Can yourell me whats involved, does it need to be scraped off the ceiling before its plastered? What kind of cost is it?
Thanks

in my case they both boarded the ceilings, then skimmed. for the walls I think they scraped the biggest lumps of artex off, then skimmed. probably some unibond before skimming.

i don't remember the price of either job, but it was so long ago that the prices wouldn't be any use anyway. more use would likely be this:

http://www.buildingsheriff.com/index.html

check out the plastering links for walls and ceilings on the right hand side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back