Plasterer wants to scrape off artex (containing asbestos) before skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had three plasterers come over to provide us with quotes to skim our horrible popcorn artex ceilings.

#1 and #2 said they would skim straight over the existing artex, which is what I was expecting. The third plasterer said he would first scrape the artex off and then skim the ceilings.

For one ceiling #1 and #2 came in at around 800 GBP. #3 came in at 350 GBP. He is new to the area (recently divorced), but I have read his reviews from where he used to live and they are good. He clearly needs the money and he was the nicest out of the three as well.

HOWEVER. We had the artex tested and it does contain asbestos. I told #3 this and he didn't seem worried about it at all. We won't be home when the work is done, but I am still worried about this. Dust goes everywhere and for the amount of money we're saving I am not sure it is worth the risk.

Should I reconsider #1 or #2?

Sponsored Links
How big is the ceiling £800 sounds a lot, but #3 doesn't really sound like a sensible proposition, consider over boarding and skimming, skimming over artex can have it's own problems.

these prices do seem high. I'd expect a skim to be around 250-300 even something large.

Check that No 3 has a waste carrier licence as he will need one to bag up the artex as asbestos waste and take it to the local waste handling facility (formerly known as the tip).

This is likely to be notifiable non-licenced work so the HSE will have to be notified and the appropriate controls must be put in place.

I think it very unlikely you'd get a qualified asbestos operative for £350 just to remove the artex, let alone do a skim as well. The price is simply unrealistic for the level of work no. 3 is proposing. It's a very good price just for a skim though.

Sponsored Links
What are the risks of skimming directly over artex? Because as I see it I can either tell #3:
  1. I no longer want to go ahead with this work and cancel
  2. Ask him again NOT to scrape anything off (but I want to understand the risks of that first, as there must be a reason why he wants to do this)
  3. Spend 100-ish pounds on plasterboard and overboard everything myself before he arrives - which is OK money wise, but a LOT of work to put up 17 or 18 boards on my own

I would go with option 3 regardless You say he seems like a decent guy why not say to him your not happy scraping off due to the asbestos but suggest that the two of you board the ceiling together, bung him another £100 for his trouble your still only up to £550 for the job so quids in compared to the other quotes
As I said previously you will have the more reliable job. Skimming over artex has its own problems and can fail, but usually you won't know until it's too late.
No idea where you are in the country but £800 is too much for that job even with two men that's £400 each for half a days work less 5 or 6 bags of skim, maybe a bit more as your going over artex, at a fiver a pop. so even being generous and allowing 10 that's only 50 quid in materials.

Hi Chappers, I am thinking along those lines. Just trying to figure out whether I like that option, as I was hoping to leave the molding in place for this job (replacing it is again an extra cost) and we have stupidly low ceilings already, so the additional 2 cm's would be noticeable I think.

OK right you didn't mention the coving, but I very much doubt you will notice the extra 15mm drop. is it really of any architectural merit or has it been used to cover up a bad junction between the ceiling and the wall.
Either way my concerns over how successful just skimming over it remain, sometimes it goes fine sometimes it all falls off. If it all falls off then you will end up removing it or over boarding anyway. If you think it's secure and will stay up then why not just get #3 to skim over it he might knock a bit off the price as he hasn't got to do the stripping and it's not anymore likely to fail just because you haven't paid him as much as Dick Turpin and his crew

There are products that make removing asbestos laden artex removal safe aren't there? Some kind if thick paste you brush on, them scrap it all of whilst wet? Maybe that's what he proposes...

just had a quick read and asbestos in artex in a domestic situation is not classified as a licensed material and the recommended method is to steam it off;

Textured coating is considered to be of a low fibre release risk and whilst it is in a good condition and in a position where it will remain undisturbed it may be left in situ and should not pose a risk to health.

It is now classed by the HSE as a non licensed material and therefore does not require the use of an HSE licensed removal contractor to carry out work on it or remove it.

However where removal is carried out in a non domestic environment a signed clearance certificate must be issued.
Removal where necessary should be done within a controlled environment as should any repair work.

During work upon or removal of this material light dampening of its surfaces is advisable in order to suppress any asbestos fibres that could potentially become airborne (water is suitable for this) the covering of surfaces below the work area is also advisable.

Where removal of the textured coating only is required the use of a steam wallpaper removing type devise is suitable.

Although airborne fibre release levels when working with this material will usually be well below HSE control limits, the use of Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
and Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) whilst working upon it should be considered.

This material when removed must be disposed of as hazardous waste in line with the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005.

All work on materials containing asbestos should conform to the Control of Asbestos Regulation 2006

I got quoted 650 for a fairly large living room..4 walls and ceilings. I thought that was a bit much then found a semi retired plaster who done the lot for 200 and a cracking job at that...we have since had him back to do our kitchen and now our new wc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back