amazing escape

Sponsored Links
I thought the first time it happened was an accident, but for it to happen three consecutive times is pure criminal negligence.

I've never understood why when they build/refurbish platforms they don't put a slight incline away from the track on them to stop the possibility of this type of thing happening.
Basic design common sense if you ask me.

Sponsored Links
given the number of fatalities of people jumping or falling under trains, I've never understood why they haven't ever come up with the following simple idea..

A hydraulic barrier that is set at the edge of the platform that raises when there is not a train in front of it..

stops people from falling onto the tracks, and the nightmare scenario in that vid..
it won't stop people from jumping in front of the trains but it will make it harder and give the drivers and other people a clue as to what the jumper is intending to do as they climb onto / over the barrier

How much should we spend on ramps and barriers?

Should all commuters be forced to stand in puddles draining down the slopes whilst they listen for announcements about delays cause by failures of automatic platform barriers?

Should these safety measures be extended to the streets? It could just as easily happen on the pavement outside Tescos as a bus pulls in.

Or should pushchairs be fitted with some form of parking brake to stop these accidents?

They already are?

....... Oh........

buses can be swerved if the driver sees a pushchair rollong towards the kerb, a train cannot, all the driver can do is slam on the brakes and close their eyes so they don't see it happen..

you don't often get 30-100 people waiting at the edge of the kerb for a bus, and if there are a few such as at a bus station, they are often inside the bus stop which acts as a barrier of sorts....

all that stops the idiots on a trian platform is a little yellow line about a foot away from the edge..

given the number of fatalities of people jumping or falling under trains, I've never understood why they haven't ever come up with the following simple idea..

A hydraulic barrier that is set at the edge of the platform that raises when there is not a train in front of it..

stops people from falling onto the tracks, and the nightmare scenario in that vid..
it won't stop people from jumping in front of the trains but it will make it harder and give the drivers and other people a clue as to what the jumper is intending to do as they climb onto / over the barrier

Like this?
http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?q=underground+platform+barriers&hl=en-GB&emb=0&aq=f#

most fatalities on teh railways and underground are suicides, not accidents. If they want to do it, you wont stop them.

££££££££'s that's why.

Dubai-PSD_half.png

Old tech... http://www.spiritus-temporis.com/platform-screen-doors/singapore.html
From Westinghouse... http://www.platformscreendoors.com/en/

Added benefit (Underground or MRT - Mass Rapid Transit) - platform air conditioning sealed off from track.

--

I saw the Vid, god imagine what she felt like. Great result though. Train driver probably aged a good few years as well.

mum should have learned a very important lesson there, always apply the brake.

Sponsored Links
Back