american keyboard??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this will probably get moved but anyway..
I have a dell computer and the keyboard doesnt type what is on some of the keys.
For example when I hold down shift and press the key with 2 and " on it, I actually get @. And when I press the key with @ and ' on it , I get ".
So those two keys when I press shift, give the wrong symbol.
Apparently, this can be changed, does anyone here know how?

Sponsored Links
Do you have English (UK) selected in Control panel, Regional and language options?

I have an american keyboard, but not a dell...do you have your caps locked, or near the top on right, is your number key on? Have a dell at work, am trying to remember....it's an easy fix, whatever it is

Sponsored Links
oh sorry... had to switch off then on again!!
I have sorted it... control panel, regional and language options, text services and input languages. :confused: :confused:

Changed it to english UK instead of US.

Though why would anyone in the US want the keys like that either??????

beats me.

toffee said:
oh sorry... had to switch off then on again!!
I have sorted it... control panel, regional and language options, text services and input languages. :confused: :confused:

Changed it to english UK instead of US.

Though why would anyone in the US want the keys like that either??????

beats me.

well..as usual...dont know what you are referring to. have the keys like what? I have mine set to US...but mine dont "behave" in the way you describe. But then again, I dont have a dell....so maybe that is the difference. ?? :confused:

The layout of the american keyboard is different to ours,
They don't have £ sign.
Don't think Dell has any bearing on it, just different regional keyboard layouts.

Spark123 said:
The layout of the american keyboard is different to ours,
They don't have £ sign

yes I know.....but am hesitant to change it because I dont know what other differences there are....and if there are (other changes that is) then it may confuse when replying to...."my fellow americans".... :)

No need to change it, if you have an American keyboard you need your windows setup to English (US) otherwise similar to toffee if you are pressing a button with the @ symbol and windows displays it as a ". If you want to display a £ sign with an american keyboard it is possible to use unicode, hold down alt and on the numberpad type 0163.

Spark123 said:
No need to change it, if you have an American keyboard you need your windows setup to English (US) otherwise similar to toffee if you are pressing a button with the @ symbol and windows displays it as a ". If you want to display a £ sign with an american keyboard it is possible to use unicode, hold down alt and on the numberpad type 0163.

hmmm...have a mac...so no windows
there probably is a way, though
But, since i dont really comprehend the money system anyway, I just stick to dollars and cents and let it fall.... :confused:

Thankyou to poster and repliers of this thread,I know I'm a month later than the last post but it was 'new to me'!!.

After about 6 months of writing quid/pound and having @ where the " is (and others all over the place), on the DELL keyboard someone gave me to replace my old dead one!
I have finally got it sorted.
I followed the info on this thread and did all it said.
But it didn't work last night and I was still baffled,but I left the pc on last night for some reason and I woke to find the pc must have re-booted or something,as I was automatically logged on to MSN etc.
Anyway it wasn't until my daughter was on MSN this evening that I realised it had worked.
She shouted 'Mum the @ is where it should be and we've got a £'
I informed her that I am a DIYnot.com genius!!!
I assume it re-booted in order for it to work,unless there is another problem brewing!!

Thanks guys,

Sharon xx

Sponsored Links
Back