American lamp conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use an American table lamp (luminaire) in Singapore, rather than the UK - but am posting it here because the Singapore electricity and plugs are like in the UK - 230W, 50Hz & UK-style three-pin plugs. Would like some advice about what I need to do. Can I just get away by changing the plug and the bulb?

Cheers,
Peter

Sponsored Links
you can probablly get away with that yes.

might also be an idea to change the flex iirc american flex is rated to take our voltages but only just (compared to our cable which is rated quite a bit higher)

most cables are tested to much higher than thier rated voltages though so i wouldn't imagine it will be a probem in practice.

Just check local regs to make sure you're allowed - local type approvals etc. Wouldn't want you to have no insurance if the device malfunctioned and started a fire, or to take up residence in Changi if someone was hurt....

Many thanks - that was helpful. Haven't got the thing yet and if necessary I'll rewire the lamp. I don't think regulations here are as tight as in the UK, eg about earthing. All lights from Ikea, for example, seem to come in two-pin Euro plugs. Peter

Sponsored Links
PeterT said:
I don't think regulations here are as tight as in the UK, eg about earthing.
[racialstereotype#236]Life is cheap in The East[/racialstereotype#236]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back