US table lamp - Safe or needs rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a US 60W table lamp with an E26 screw thread bulb holder, a two core flex, US plug and inline switch. I'd like to use it in the UK but am not sure which is the safest way. I'd rather not use an adapter plug. Any advise more than welcome

A few questions
1) Will E27 bulbs work in a E26 holder (they fit).
2) Can I just cut off the US plug and wire on a UK plug?
3) Is the US flex suitable for use in the UK?
4) The inline switch is rated for both 110V or 250V so I assume that's OK to use.
5) The bulb holder has a sticker on it saying only to be used with 110V yet the moulded plastic writing on it says suitable for 250V - confused.

Sponsored Links
1) Will E27 bulbs work in a E26 holder (they fit).
-i dont know (someone else might, but Id just replace it)
2) Can I just cut off the US plug and wire on a UK plug?
-it would work but would probably not be safe
3) Is the US flex suitable for use in the UK?
-probably not, uk flex needs better insulation because of the higher voltage, also uk flex has to be double insulated, they dont seam to worry about that in the US.
4) The inline switch is rated for both 110V or 250V so I assume that's OK to use.
-probably, although technically it probably wont be tested to the relevent uk/ European standards.
5) The bulb holder has a sticker on it saying only to be used with 110V yet the moulded plastic writing on it says suitable for 250V - confused.
-sticker by the manufacturer of the lamp, moulding by the manufacturer of the holder?

my advise would be to replace the lot. also whatever you do make sure the switch switched the live (or live and neutral) not just the neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back