table lamp fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
attempted to switch on table lamp( cheap asda) bulb popped and switch on cable felt soft. Replaced bulb but lamp would not work. However, even when the plug-in outlet is OFF, using a power detector gives indication of the cable being live. Should this be the case?
There is no way to open the switch.

Sponsored Links
What are you using to dectect power in cable?
If the wall socket-outlet is swithed off there should be no power to the lamp.
How old is the lamp?
Take it back if it's new.
If you do have power with wall socket-outlet switched off, the socket-outlet could be faulty as well as the lamp.
Have you tried anything else in the socket?

Sounds like the lamp bulb blew and shorted itself as you switched it on.

The contacts in the switch were overloaded by the short circuit and welded themselves into some fixed position. This often makes the rocker feel "non clicky" The switch is probably beyond repair.

Was it a 3 amp fuse in the plug ?

.However, even when the plug-in outlet is OFF, using a power detector gives indication of the cable being live

Is that a screwdriver with a lamp in it ?

They are dangerous. They can show voltage when there is no voltage on the wire being "tested" and can ( possibily fatally ) show no voltage when there is 230 volts ready injure or kill the person who trusted their life to a useless tool.

Thanks mate,
A fluke power detector - stick like device that flashes and beeps.

The lamp is less than one year old.

I'm not there at the moment but i'll try the detector and the lamp in different outlets.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, i replaced the lamp.

Thanks mate,
A fluke power detector - stick like device that flashes and beeps.

The lamp is less than one year old.

I'm not there at the moment but i'll try the detector and the lamp in different outlets.

They will flicker and bleep if you move them, hold the tester quite still when you do the test.

Always best to test against a known live circuit first. Test for dead on the other circuit and if dead retest the fluke on the known live just to be sure it is still working. Can't be to careful with these testers.

Even the manufacturers recognise the short comings of their own product

http://www.fluke.com/fluke/usen/com...categories/electrical/voltagedetectoruses.htm

3. Capacitive voltage detectors have certain limitations. Correct operation depends upon the capacitance between the detector's barrel and ground (normally through your hand and body). If this path is broken for any reason, the detector probably won't work. For example, if you're standing on a wooden ladder, the capacitance between your body and ground will be much less than if you were standing on a concrete floor. To help avoid incorrect detector readings, find an installation ground that you can touch when using the voltage detector. Remember, in a series circuit, the smaller the capacitance, the greater the voltage drop: there might be too much voltage drop from you to the floor and too little across the detector. The detectors will also have a certain minimum voltage to turn on. In our wooden ladder scenario, the detector might not turn on despite the circuit being hot. By similar reasoning, the detector cannot detect live conductors inside a grounded metal conduit.

Only a two lead voltage measuring device can ensure ( 99 % ) that a circuit is safe to work on.

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply - i found your answers sensible and helpful. T.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back