brass table lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a table lamp with a brass socket where the bulb goes. I want to replace the brass socket (bulb holder with switch) with a new one. Is there anything I need to be aware of when doing this, or is it a simple, straightforward job. The flex is 3 core. Could I replace the old brass holder with a plastic one?

Thanks for your help,

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I need to be aware of when doing this, or is it a simple, straightforward job.
1) How the old one attaches to the body of the lamp, how the new one does, whether the threads match etc.

2) Which is L & N if it's a single pole switch or if it's a screw-in lampholder rather than bayonet - if it is then L should go to the centre contact.

Could I replace the old brass holder with a plastic one?
I'd advise against that.

Brass is a better material.

A plastic one may not have a compatible thread.

And where's the earth connection on the lamp?

Thanks for all this so far!
The lamp base itself is largely ceramic but there is one metal tube section through which the flex goes. This is not where the brass bulb holder is connected though. I cannot see any separate earthing of the lamp itself. The earth wire in the flex is attached in the bulb holder and then directly in the mains plug. Is this a problem?

Ah yes, I think I've just seen it. There is a slot into which the base of the brass bulb holder sits which would earth the actual bulb holder through the terminal. :)

Sponsored Links
The earth connected in the lampholder in turn usually earths the threaded rod, fitting a plastic holder would mean no way of connecting the earth wire to earth the rod.leaving the rod not earthed.
Therefore its best to use a Brass holder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back