Re-wiring Floor & Table Lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m looking to rewire a couple of old table lamps and a floor lamp. All brass / metal.

The floor and newer table lamp have brass bayonet lamp holders with what I think is an earth terminal on the outside and two terminals inside.

Am I correct in thinking that the earth goes into the outside terminal and live and neutral can go in either terminal inside? (not marked live/neutral)

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable. Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above? Or are there any other steps or considerations?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Am I correct in thinking that the earth goes into the outside terminal and live and neutral can go in either terminal inside? (not marked live/neutral)
You are correct.

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable.
Do you mean it is missing?

Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above?
Or are there any other steps or considerations?
I suppose you can. Hard to say without seeing it.

It is common to find nylon tubes inside the metal tubes of lights, and for there to be some isolation, using three core cable and brass bulb holders is one way to build a class I fitting, but I have removed so many lamps from service when doing PAT testing due to errors, so I am loathed to say no problem to build or repair your own lamps.

I see no real problem in your own home with RCD protection, but not to sell, however try pictures, so we understand what your asking.

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable. Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above? Or are there any other steps or considerations?

There needs to be earth continuity between the lamp holder and the metal body of the lamp, normally they are designed so that the former screws into the latter. Many different types of brass lamp holder are available but your lamp might need work on it to fit them. That is why a picture would assist.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Although the earth terminal is on the outside of the lampholder, i take it you are aware that the actual earth cable enters the terminal from INSIDE of the lampholder

EflImpudence, yes I mean it's missing, it doesn't have one. I'm hoping to buy one similar to the 2 existing ones I mentioned like this:
images

333rocky333- yes I'm aware of that.

Blup - yes I will disassemble and ensure continuity. Anyone have a recommendation for a basic tester for continuity. Don't ever see myself doing anything more than this electrically so what's the simplest testing device for this?

Thanks for all the feedback

Fluke T 90, cheaper unbranded versions are available.

fluke-t90-front.jpg

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back