American socket in a bathroom....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my question is hopefully fairly simple....

Basically my friend is about to exchange contracts and move in to his new house. Before he moves in, the house is due to be completely rewired. However, his wife is from the US, and she seems insistent that she wants to use her american hairdryer in the bathroom. Is this possible (I assume obviously it is, but with regard to the legislation of electrics).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If she gets hold of a commercial wall-mounted hairdryer, fits it in Z3 and 30mA RCD-protects it, then yes.

Alternatively if she wants to use a hand-held dryer, she can wait till January (commencement of 17th Edition) then if the bathroom is big enough (minimum 3 metres from the edge of the bath and/or shower cubicle), then she can fit a standard socket outlet (again, protected by 30mA RCD).

However, her US dryer will be useless in the UK, unless it is a travel type with adjustable voltage input.

Bodgetastic, but assuming the Hairdryer is DI, then can't it run off the shaver socket at 110v? American plug might even fit straigh in! I await you shooting me down in flames, but just a thought. Perhaps I shouldnt be putting ideas in peoples' heads! :eek:

CallEdsFirst said:
Bodgetastic, but assuming the Hairdryer is DI, then can't it run off the shaver socket at 110v? American plug might even fit straigh in! I await you shooting me down in flames, but just a thought. Perhaps I shouldnt be putting ideas in peoples' heads! :eek:

Standard shaver socket is not rated at anywhere near enough to supply a hairdryier (not even a US one!) As far as I'm aware, you could fit a socket fed from an isolating transformer to BS3535 of sufficent rating, I'd have to check whether this is ok, but off the top of my head it is, but the transformer is not going to be cheap (and if she wants to keep her current drier its going to have to have a 110v tapping and the outlet used would probably have to be of the 16A yellow BSEN 60309 type as used on condtruction sites, as americian NEMA standards for outlets are not recognised by BS7671)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like she has not yet come to terms with the fact that she is not in the US any more.

I suppose she still drives on the right, too :rolleyes:

tell him to buy one of those hotel-type dryers with the fan and heater on a wall box and have a hot-air hose, like securespark says.

Ok, the bathroom is only small, roughly 2.5-3 metres wide by 3 metres long. So the options of waiting till January would not work then?

I think this is some sort of special hairdryer you can't get in the UK (wierd eh).

So if it had to be 110v supply, a socket could be fitted with an isoltating transformer, via a RCD or something?

Alternatively, if she was happy to use a UK hairdryer, you would be able to have a socket via a RCD?

Or! There is an option of getting a built in one like a hotel has?

I know I had sound a bit vague and loose using terms, but I'm not planning on installing this or anything, I just want to know legally how it can be done.

Thanks for the replies.

d438a1 said:
So if it had to be 110v supply, a socket could be fitted with an isoltating transformer, via a RCD or something?

If an isolating transformer is used, then there is no requirement for an
RCD and fitting one would be rather pointless anyway ;)

Alternatively, if she was happy to use a UK hairdryer, you would be able to have a socket via a RCD?

No sockets allowed in bathroom other than shaver sockets atm, come next year you'll be allowed a BS1363 only if its at least 3m from bath and shower, looking at the size of your bathroom this is a no go!

Or! There is an option of getting a built in one like a hotel has?

That is your best option I feel, with the device istelf mounted on the wall, its fixed equipment and can be located in zone 3 and fed via an RCD

I know I had sound a bit vague and loose using terms, but I'm not planning on installing this or anything, I just want to know legally how it can be done.

Thanks for the replies.[/quote]

Her hairdryer plugged in to a normal UK socket will dry her hair really fast! Maybe she would stand a chance of being ready to go somewhere at the same time as you!

Sorry, I'm in a deadly and facetious mood today, not a good mix!

Make her dry her hair in the bedroom or shave it all off!

OK, so I think I'm getting somewhere now!

So how would the isolating transformer option work? Is this connected directly to consumer unit? via a fused spur? does it appear as a 2 pin socket on wall?

Thanks

No, Yes & No.

Best option is the wall-mounted jobbie in Z3 on 30mA RCD.

Owain - I imagine that after 7 years the OP's friend will have sorted out what to do about a socket, hairdryer etc in the bathroom...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back