Amica fridge condensate channel blocked.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a long shot, this one.

I bought an Amica fridge freezer a few months ago; cheap purchase and seems to work well, with the exception of one problem.

The tube leading from the internal condensate channel to the outlet underneath the rear of the fridge appears to be blocked somewhere near the bottom, meaning that instead of draining into the plastic tray, the drain tube slowly fills up then spills out into the fridge.

I've tried (carefully) poking a length of spare electric cable down the drain aperture (it hits the obstruction a few inches above the outlet), and using a piece of cable insulation and a section of hosepipe to blow through the tube top and bottom, but whatever is in the way, I can't shift it.

Unfortunately, and unlike my last fridge, the back of the fridge is sealed and there's no access to the tube, so I can't remove and clean it.

I just wondered whether anyone could suggest a possible solution that won't involve me trying to force the obstruction out of the way.

I did read somewhere that the tube could be iced up, so maybe one possible solution might be to trickle a little salt into the condensate aperture. The other thing that occurred to me is that maybe there's a bend or strainer in the drain tube, but if so that would seem rather pointless.

Any sensible suggestion welcome.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Try a cup of boiling water or a metal coat hanger

Not sure about pouring boiling water down a plastic tube, to be honest, but de icer sounds like a good idea and that never occured to me.

Thanks for your replies.

Sponsored Links
i personally would use your wire to drive out the water then use the strongest spirit you have like whisky gin or vodka as these wont taint the plastic or the risk off food contamination from antifeeze

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back