Leaking fridge suspected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The guy in the flat next to mine is complaining of water coming through his ceiling. When this happened previously it was because the upstairs neighbour had been defrosting her fridge. On this occasion we have been up to have a look at the suspect fridge even though this time she has not been allowing it to defrost. There is no evidence of any accumulation of water at the bottom of the fridge or anywhere else in this area of her flat.

At the moment my hunch is that even though she has not defrosted the fridge manually, it has nevertheless done an auto-defrost and the same result has occurred. Having looked at some of the previous posts I can see that it is worth trying to clean out the drain tube gently with a piece of leccy wire. What I am uncertain of is why has this resulted in a leak no evidence of which is traceable around the fridge area? Do these these tubes always run continuously from the fridge to the condensator tray, or is it possible that there may be some sort of air-gap, so that if the tube becomes blocked the water is forced to run to an alternative point ie the neighbour's ceiling? Or can the tube simply become detached at the condensator end?

Sponsored Links
have a look abnd then see.

the pipe runs from the"gutter" to the compressor. on top of the compressor is usually a "tray" this tray fills with anything that comes down the pipe. as the compressor gets hot, it evaporates anything in the tray. obviuosly if too much comes down the pipe the tray will over flow.

also tip fridge backwards AFTER you have looked and see if there is any damp condensation.

by the why dont have a cat do they?

Thanks Breezer, I'll have a look as you say. Trouble is that the fridge is a built-in unit and there is probably a fair bit of dismanting to do just to take a peak at the parts. I will try to check for the condensation though.

Felines contravene the terms of the lease....well, if the terms are observed. Cheers. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back