Beko Fridge Freezer (Freezer not freezing below -3 celsius)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 15 month old Beko fridge freezer (CDA647). The freezer has never been that impressive but is now not freezing below -3 celsius. Despite it being 'frost free' I have switch it off for 24 hrs and defrosted it thoroughly - I even removed the freezer panel to make sure no ice was on cooling element. At the time there was a lot of ice built up on the element but this is now completely clear. I thought that was the problem but the freezer is still not working properly.

The fridge section seems to be ok and the fan and motor seem to be ok too.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? I suspected it was the thermostat (I think that is located in the fridge area) however if the fridge is running ok then surely the thermostat is too. I've turned it fully to number 5 with no difference in freezer performance. I can't smell any refigerant leaking either.

I'm being told by service engineers to just bin it as Beko are apparently a cheap budget make and not worth the effort of repairing. Is this right? Surely a £320 appliance should last longer than this.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It may have lost gas. A slight imperfection in a brazed joint may let out tiny amounts of refrigerant. This can take years to show itself. You wont hear or smell it.

household fridge compressors are normally so reliable that they'll last forever (though running on low gas will shorten their life considerably).

24 hours isn't long to leave a modern freezer defrosting by the way. ;) We have big commercial freezers at my shop, open top ones, and they'd been running for 5 years straight (since the place opened). When we turned them off to be moved, and lifted the base panels, we couldn't see the cooling fins, it was a solid block of white ice. It was a wonder they worked at all. Anyway, said ice had just about gone 3 days later when they were recommisioned again. And these were frost free with several KW of heating on the defrost cycle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back