Ammonia smell from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Baxi boiler in about 4 years old the boiler is working fine but in the last 2 month I have been getting a terrible smell from smells like ammonia as anyone had the same problem if so can you please let me now if you have got rid and what did you do to get rid of the smell

Sponsored Links
Smells from boilers need investigation. I've never come across a boiler that smells of ammonia. Nevertheless it needs urgent attention.

Ammonia type smells invariably come from the products of combustion most notably *incomplete combustion* cause by various deficiencies eg: flame impingement, ghosting, flame lift-off, poor primary combustion air etc etc.

The onion type smell particularly is caused by the formation of aldehydes (eg: 'formaldehydes') causes watering of the eyes and is *totally dangerous* when inhaled.

In the interests of safety to yourself and others turn off the appliance immediately and call out a professional gas-safe registered tradesman before any further use.

i have had the gas board and the professional gas-safe registered tradesman and they can`t find anything ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if this will be of much help but I had this once a long time ago with a Saunier Duval boiler and it was the thermostat that was a liquid filled thermostat and it was leaking and it was ammonia dont think it is still used in modern boilers but might be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back