Amptec C600 boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are renting a flat and it's got an incredibly expensive electric heating system powered by an amptec C600 (manual here for context).

The heating system uses a ridiculous 6kw an hour when in use so the heating bill is very high. Trying to combat this by setting the water temperature lower than it currently is. This is where the problem lies.

It's a simple mechanism that you put a flathead screwdriver into to turn it either up or down. I turned it anti clockwise to turn it down, but I've noticed that it just spins forever either way without a lowest or highest position. So now I'm not sure if it's set to high or low, and if the temperature gauge is working at all.

Anyone had any experience with one of these? Any suggestions on how I can work out what setting it's on? And interested to know if it's meant to spin without a max/min position, or if it's broken.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Liam,

I also have the same boiler having moved into a new house in Septemeber. It is very expensive to run especially in the current climate. I think electric boilers are in general very expenesive to run.

For the hot water I'm presuming you must have a tank like I do. I'm not 100% on this but I think you can just turn the thermostat on the hot water tank down and once the water in the tank has reached the desired temp it will switch off and should therefore save you cash.

From what I read your not really meant to change the screw and this is set at the correct level, for the set up in question, at time of installation.

I only ever put my heating on in my bathroom to stop the damp after I've had a shower. Its's been a fairly cold winter but thankfully I live south of london so doesn't really get too cold. My bills still come in at £100 a month...... I think my heating costs about a £1 a hour. Not a fan of this system.

Have you made any progress?

It's a simple mechanism that you put a flathead screwdriver into to turn it either up or down. I turned it anti clockwise to turn it down, but I've noticed that it just spins forever either way without a lowest or highest position.
It should have a stop at lowest and highest, someone has forced it past the stop, a very flimsy potentiometer and easily damaged, new PCB time but they are ridiculously expensive, usually cheaper buying a new complete unit, wont cut your energy bills though, they are simply very expensive to run

Sponsored Links
I realise this thread is almost a year old but wanted to chime in. My daughter is renting a flat with one of these ‘boilers’. Proving very expensive at current rates, even on Economy 9. As much to heat a small flat as our detached house (which has gas combi). Also it seems the system is low on pressure (0 bar) and the filling loop valves are stuck. Anyway, you do realise that although it’s 6kW (or whichever version rating) it won’t take that amount all the time unless it’s out in the open - the thermostat (and TRVs) should shut it off once rooms up to temperature….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back