Amtico floor disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My amtico floor tiles have started to turn up at the edges aswell as completely coming away from the floor. They are laid on ply with a levelling screed and amtico glue. The fitter has packed up and moved abroad. The amtico website says not to screed the plyboard and then glue. The floor cost alot of money when it was laid over 5 yrs ago. Half the floor looks ok which is laid over ply and solid concrete the other half has delaminated over the floorboards ply and screed. Having lifted one or two tiles that were coming away the screed is stuck firmly to th tile but not the ply. The clean up time for one tile to remove the screed and glue is approx 3/4 hr. To lift and replace would take almost 2 weeks just to clean up tiles. .i need to try and level half the floor before relaying the tiles. anyone have any good advice as to either levelling the floor or cleaning up amtico tiles. I have a sneaky feeling this is going to be expensive.

Sponsored Links
Can you post some pictures up?
You can screed over plywood but have to use the correct screeding compound which is a fibre reinforced one.
Sounds like the screed wasn't primed so it hasn't adearered to the plywood correctly.

That is bad.
Have you had a leak?
Looks like water damage. What's the base there?
Is it floorboards , plywood, screed, Amtico ?

floorboards with ply nailed down and i believe its a latex screed with amtico glue and amtico tiles. No water damage as such. It does get cold sometimes. It was laid by a professional in the trade for the last 30 years who also woked for the large reatail outlets on their new build floors. The warranty for the tiles is void due to the way they have been fitted. What I need is firstly a screed I can use as dont want to take whole floor up and also a way if poss to clean the tiles up easily before relaying. I will have to screed or level the floor to match up with half the floor that hasnt lifted yet. Hopefully they will be OK.

Sponsored Links
Looking at those tiles you will find it hard to relay any of them.
He should not of used a latex screed.
I think you be better ripping it up then remove loose screed then prime and screed with a fibre screed then lag new tiles.

floorboards with ply nailed down and i believe its a latex screed with amtico glue and amtico tiles. No water damage as such. It does get cold sometimes. It was laid by a professional in the trade for the last 30 years who also woked for the large reatail outlets on their new build floors. The warranty for the tiles is void due to the way they have been fitted. What I need is firstly a screed I can use as dont want to take whole floor up and also a way if poss to clean the tiles up easily before relaying. I will have to screed or level the floor to match up with half the floor that hasnt lifted yet. Hopefully they will be OK.

........Do you use a portable heater In that room (you mention the cold)

.......If you do, and the fitter did not use a high temperature adhesive then that could also be the cause!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back