An idiot at home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello geniuses.
I am a cretin. It must be the case because numerous, highly qualified people have told me so over the years.
In light of my lack of intelligence, please be gentle with me.
I live in a house.
A house which has a BG330+ boiler, installed by our chums from BG some 3-4 years ago.
It has performed flawlessly. Until 5 days ago.
One morning, after putting on my wellies and straw hat, I noticed that it was colder than expected.
The radiators were cold.
The airing cupboard and pipe work therein was warm, suggesting that the water heating had worked BUT, it could still have been warm from the previous evening, though my instinct felt otherwise.
I checked the thermostat which has a digital display, the little “flame” was on (still in the morning timer session).
I checked the boiler which had not ignited and felt as cold as the North side of a January gravestone by moonlight.
I researched.
A suggestion to turn the boiler thermostat up to 82 degrees worked.
Next morning, same problem, same (temporary) solution.
Following two mornings, worked gloriously; I felt as warm as a beautiful smile in a sea of grim faces.
This morning, cold again. The 82 degree thermostat adjustment worked.
I have my mother in law coming for Christmas so the house will feel 10 degrees colder.
Reminds me that I still need to repair her broomstick.
Any suggestions/ideas/comments/jokes/questions/donations are very welcome.
West Country Worzel

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Any suggestions/ideas/comments/jokes/questions/donations are very welcome.
West Country Worzel

Well, your creative writing made me smile and it certainly beats the usual "boiler not working" poke-in-the-ribs question :rolleyes:

As for your issue, any potential defective component within the sealed case, needs an RGI to go forward. As per @FiremanT

An update:
I turned the room thermostat up to 21 degrees before retiring last night.
This morning - all working. (Is there a head scratching emoji?)

Mother-In-law crept in last night and fixed it so you would have more time to fix her broomstick?

Hi just pumps, no - DEFINITELY not.
People run screaming from the estate, dogs howl like wolves, cats hiss incessantly and an icy wind blows through my underpants when she’s within 5 miles of landing.
I would know.

dilalio - If the “elves” have fixed the problem, I’ll happily take them to see Mary Poppins at the Curzon cinema in Clevedon, at my expense.
(No popcorn included).
Watch this space.....

Update - This morning, absolutely fine.
Perhaps my MIL is influencing the situation? casting a spell possibly?
Should I suspend my disbelief of the supernatural?
It’s OK for her; the cauldron keeps her cave extremely warm.
Yours, confused of Bristol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back