Anaglypta - Cover it up without removing it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

Im moving into student rental accommodation in September. I saw the room today and its not bad, but the Anaglypta wallpaper looks terrible. He has given me permission to paint the room but not remove the wallpaper.

I know that painting it a matt colour will make it less noticeable, but are there paints that will cover up the pattern? The reason its so important to me is that in places he has used plaster or filler of some sort to cover up patches, so there are places where there is no pattern. It just looks crap.

Any suggestions? Also is taking a mouse sander to it to remove some of the pattern a dumb idea?

Thanks!

James

Sponsored Links
Spadez";p="987803 said:
Im moving into student rental accommodation in September. I saw the room today and its not bad, but the Anaglypta wallpaper looks terrible. He has given me permission to paint the room but not remove the wallpaper

It's outdated stuff now but if he said leave it on, there's not much you can do.

I know that painting it a matt colour will make it less noticeable, but are there paints that will cover up the pattern? The reason its so important to me is that in places he has used plaster or filler of some sort to cover up patches, so there are places where there is no pattern. It just looks rubbish.

I don't know of any paints that would build up to that thickness. Others might though.

Also, is taking a mouse sander to it to remove some of the pattern a dumb idea?

I'm afraid I can't comment on the use of a mouse. I know there are rules about using dumb animals in certain jobs, but I suppose if it was supplied with a dust mask etc, there shouldn't be problem. :LOL: Me, I just use the mouse mainly for sampling cheese in traps :rolleyes: ...... Anyway if in doubt, contact the RSPCA.

Roughcaster.

Somehow I think that when your landlord said you can paint it but not remove it, he was meaning that you can paint the paper another colour only.
Not ruin whats there, nor make it so that it needs replacing.

Perhaps its best to go back to your landlord & discuss exactly what your options are, to fill it in or rub it off will be even worse than removing it.

Hi,

He didnt mind me painting over it with a thick paint. The problem he had is that he thinks some of the plaster under the paper has started to breakdown, especially by the windows. Hes worried if i peel it off i will have to do a lot of repair work to the wall.

However he doesnt mind me doing what i can to make the pattern more subtle by painting.

I was kinda hoping someone had invented a paint for this purpose?

Sponsored Links
Student rental accomodation!! Why on earth would you bother making improvements to it, when the landlord is probably fleecing you anyway? Do what most students do - go to your Student's Union poster sale during fresher's week, and buy a ton of posters to cover up any horrid bits... I lived in a house with mould on the walls when I was a student, and that's what we did!

I'm living in the "shag pad", its got to look good ;).

Will thick paint help? Any advice?

no it won't

dark matt paint and some dim light bulbs will help

stick some posters up with blu-tak

By 'eck JohnD - haven't seen her in years, ageing about as well as me!She covered a soup stain on my wall for a number of years as a student......... ah happy days!

Spadez: I wouldn't risk sanding the anaglypta, in fact I wouldn't agitate it at all if theres the possibility of plaster falling off, you'll just be creating big problems - personally I'd just slap on a coat of some colour I liked and you're half way there. Then (as suggested) low lights, lots of posters, crank up the stereo and your sh*g-pad will be they envy of your mates!

And you'll have more pennies for beer - (meal in a glass, contains all the food groups) so your Mum will be happy that you're eating properly - its a win/win situation!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back