Anaglypta / embossed wallpaper need to match pattern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix and am trying to find the same pattern or at the least the name and who makes \ made it

chances are it discontinued as my guess it was put up when a past owner had a extension in 1990

any help appreciated

Attachments

• wallpaper.png
    wallpaper.png
    320.6 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
I need to fix and am trying to find the same pattern or at the least the name and who makes \ made it

chances are it discontinued as my guess it was put up when a past owner had a extension in 1990

any help appreciated

Are you sure that is wallpaper , it looks like "Swirl" Artex finish to me .

Sponsored Links

I think you're right, but even if it is a paper, I think it will be a modern embossed one. There are also textured vinyls.

The are two grades of 'glypta, I forget which is which, but I formerly had one where the deep embossing was filled with a putty-like material, and was gloss painted, and I needed a blowlamp to get it off. The house was built around 1922.

the makers still have some of the old rollers and make repro batches from time to time. It is so expensive that I think the chances of anybody buying it in the 1990s for a modern house (not a restoration) are nil.

thank you for all the replies
Most are available if you search ,or got to a stockists
I tried a local shop they were no good - have emailed anaglypta but they are yet to come back - I have also email the past owners who put it up in the 1990 they said it came from great mills and they THINK its anaglypta weave but a google turns out its not unless weave has changed - do you recommend anyone who is good at finding this stuff maybe i should go on 'time team'
Have you checked the loft for any rolls of paper stored in there?
a good call - too good to be true - i had another look just encase
I wish, its wallpaper unfortunately
I think you're right, but even if it is a paper, I think it will be a modern embossed one. There are also textured vinyls.

The are two grades of 'glypta, I forget which is which, but I formerly had one where the deep embossing was filled with a putty-like material, and was gloss painted, and I needed a blowlamp to get it off. The house was built around 1922.

the makers still have some of the old rollers and make repro batches from time to time. It is so expensive that I think the chances of anybody buying it in the 1990s for a modern house (not a restoration) are nil.
I'm hoping if I can get a name I can google it and leave it a couple of years it will eventually turn up on ebay
Right hand side you can see the join. If its been in 30 years may be time for a change?
Correct it is wallpaper

the closest I have got to is
https://www.ace-decor.co.uk/product/graham-brown-white-blown-vinyl-18500/

Attachments

• wallpaper closest match.png
    wallpaper closest match.png
    211.5 KB · Views: 38
It isn't anaglypta.

It was probably put up to hide a cracked ceiling.

you could probably pull it off and put up a new embossed paper or blown vinyl if you happen to like that sort of thing.

Or smooth, if you are a normal person ;)

It isn't anaglypta.

It was probably put up to hide a cracked ceiling.

you could probably pull it off and put up a new embossed paper or blown vinyl if you happen to like that sort of thing.

Or smooth, if you are a normal person ;)

sorry I should of mentioned its on the wall not the ceiling - the ceiling is artex but don't get me started on that

you said its not anaglypta but didn't elaborate can you take a guess at who makes it then

I'm sorry I can't help more, but remember there is no reason you can't have one wall a different pattern, and in a different colour.

Continental style, I think they used to call it.

Feature wall, they now call it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back