Analogue multimeter/To use as TV signal finder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old Maplin meter and wonder if it is possible to adapt it for a one-off use to find TV signal strength, as I have to move my aerial position to a different part of the house. Cheers, Dave.

Sponsored Links
No !

It requires a tuned receiver with fixed gain ( amplification ) to select the only TV channel(s) of interest and reject the often much stronger signals from all other radio stations. wifi networks and mobile phone system.

As already said the meter needs to be part of a tuned circuit and I have never tried it but it is possible once feed through something like a video recorder you may get some sort of discrimination.
However the new digital TV's it seems have meters built in so really no need.
I was surprised when trying to position my sky dish the difference between the Sky+ box and the free to air box. The sky box had a bar graph which tended to jump so it did not matter how slowly one tried to move the dish the signal jumped that much it seemed impossible to set. However the free to air box was much finer in the way the bar graph reacted plus it also had a sound one could use as well for tuning.
I would guess the freeview receivers are similar with some reacting faster than others.
I would agree the S meter built into my radio is far easier to use and I can get a direction fix far quicker. However when I consider the cost of the radio compared with cost of set-top box that is only to be expected.

Sponsored Links
I would guess the freeview receivers are similar with some reacting faster than others.
Many freeview receivers take time to update the signal strength indicator because they also ( attempt to ) decode the signal to calculate the error rate before updating the display of signal strength and quality.

Many freeview receivers take time to update the signal strength indicator because they also ( attempt to ) decode the signal to calculate the error rate before updating the display of signal strength and quality.
In which case the rotator would need to be very slow. Think mine takes around 90 seconds to move full 360 degrees think that would be too fast.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Don't think I'll bother with the meter. Just go up and down the ladder the old fashioned way. Cheers, Dave.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Don't think I'll bother with the meter. Just go up and down the ladder the old fashioned way. Cheers, Dave.

Beware, don't forget how Rod Hull met his end.

Here he is practising for his final performance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back