Ancient weapons..

S

Sombrero

Saw an article in the papers at the weekend, with a picture of a youth with a slingshot risisting some authority in some war torn region... and i wondered if throwing rocks was the best resistance weapon?

Now i'm not taking sides, but just wondered if i ever found myself under siege by some peoples that i felt were unfairly stealing my land, how would i defend myself?

Based on everyday materials, wouldn't the longbow be the best weapon? Mythbusters have probably covered it. Yet you never see them, it's petrol bombs and rocks... am i missing sommat?

Sponsored Links
Pitchfork buried to the shaft. He won't be getting up after that.
I keep a set of chukas in my home and I can use them to good effect.
One whack would crack your skull open.

Depends on whether you want to kill or just repel.

In most news reels you see blokes throwing rocks... a good lump of housebrick hits you on the nut, or in the eye, that's not a casual rebuff !!

And if we get back to Syria or other war torn regions, arms and munitions cost money, whereas an arrow is cheap and ruthless !!

Sponsored Links
Just glad I keep a Trebuchet handy in me back garden. Keeps the neighbours at bay. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Throwing rocks is seen as a protest and tolerated (mostly). Aiming to kill with a longbow will get you a bullet through the skull in no time at all.

In Iraq the locals used to throw a lot of stones at us, Im surprised they dont have decent Cricket bowlers or javelin chuckers some of the distance on it, one even looped about a 100 metres over a wall and landed in the courtyard of the police station I was in, deflected off a tea urn and hit someone in the mouth, a million dollar shot. We were quite pleased, he was a nob and a bully.

Here someone has stolen my sonic mole repeller from the garden, they sneaked over the bridge and nicked it, in the summer someone also stole a plastic wash basin I had outside. Im thinking off making a drawbridge instead with spikes underneath make it harder for them, they'll then have to scale a 7ft wall after getting their feet wet or come the long front way and have more chance getting caught.

I'm a little surprised that in the main people are playing down the intent of the 'rock throwers'.

I've seen harrowing footage of a copper getting caught in a riot, dragged out of their car, and killed... some of these 'rock throwers' aren't just 'avin' a word' and then going home, they want blood. And in war torn situations, it's rocks because you can't get guns...

Are longbows hard to make perhaps?

Speaking of ancient weapons I've always quite fancied the idea of burying one of those spiked maces (morning star?) in someones helmet. The trouble with that in a battle situation must have been that by the time you'd prised it back out someone would have done the same to you.

Speaking of ancient weapons I've always quite fancied the idea of burying one of those spiked maces (morning star?) in someones helmet. The trouble with that in a battle situation must have been that by the time you'd prised it back out someone would have done the same to you.

Yeah, has that been on mythbusters yet? imagine that damage !!

Sponsored Links