Ancient weapons..

Are longbows hard to make perhaps?

They do require a certain amount of skill from choosing the right piece of timber to actually crafting it.I've made a couple in my time from yew and also from ash. The best ones are Spanish yew (although the balkans are being looked at now as a supply of quality yew) and can cost over a thousand pounds apiece. Arrows also aren't just a stick and good quality arrows, ash shafts , forged head, horn knocks, and matched flights will set you back about a hundred a dozen as well.
Then add in all the hours of practice and you soon see why the rock becomes attractive. Humans are also the best creature that has evolved that can throw things.

Easy to google though, so why don't we see them on the news?

Sponsored Links
Are longbows hard to make perhaps?

They do require a certain amount of skill from choosing the right piece of timber to actually crafting it.I've made a couple in my time from yew and also from ash. The best ones are Spanish yew (although the balkans are being looked at now as a supply of quality yew) and can cost over a thousand pounds apiece. Arrows also aren't just a stick and good quality arrows, ash shafts , forged head, horn knocks, and matched flights will set you back about a hundred a dozen as well.
Then add in all the hours of practice and you soon see why the rock becomes attractive. Humans are also the best creature that has evolved that can throw things.

Easy to google though, so why don't we see them on the news?

:?:
dinosaurs are easy to google too but they don't make it on the news either or am I missing your point?

Sponsored Links
I want one. A Google button, that is.

I could also do with an 'Any' key.

But anyway, the longbow... is it any good? could we make it today? should we?

My son did archery at QEH he went over to a shop just over the old bridge into Wales where he bought a composit bow, they had long bows for sale or you could buy the semi crafted bow and finish it off yourself, or go and find a Yew tree and start from scratch, at the archery contest there are a few different leagues for the various type of bow you shoot.

Re. crossbows, the longbow will out shoot it.

Eh, no.

Well, yes, you know there are a butt-load of arguments on this.

It really depends on what crossbow vs longbow you are comparing (and load speed vs power vs range), are you comparing a modern crossbow with cams to an old longbow, modern crossbows are beasts and will poo poo on an old longbow. Many people also make the mistake of comparing a well crafted longbow with cheap mass produced medieval crossbows, though those could still penetrate armour at 200 yards, which a longbow could typically not do.

There is a lot of english romanticism about the longbow, but it is actually rather poor, the recurved used in the east (think Mongol) could be argued to be better.

Modern re-curves again just have much more power per pound than longbows. I mean kids have shot arrows +350 yards with 35lb recurve, warbows (+100lb longbows) struggle to do that.

The pound-lb is how much weight the bow needs for a full draw, no, I can't pull a 100lb longbow, I couldn't even draw it halfway, I've only shoot 40lb longbows.

I like shooting longbow, it's just a lot of fun, simple as well, but I much prefer a modern re-curve.

Then you have compounds (the bow rambo uses), a lot of archery people are snobby about them, to easy and too powerful, you can shoot a target almost straight at 100 yards with one (as opposed to having to arch your arrow flight with a longbow and most compounds), and yes modern crossbows are more powerfull than that, now you can see how weak the old longbow is compared to modern archery equipment.

People still make them, archery shops often sell bow blanks, most shops have classes you can attend that will teach you to make a longbow, and I would do it if I had the time/money.

Laminated greenheart or other hardwood blanks are more commonly sold rather than yew(cheaper and more available, not sure how springy those woods are compared to yew but they are stronger).

If we are comparing like for like, that is, what was available to mediaeval warriors, you could compare crossbows and longbows to modern-day rifles and machine guns respectively. Crossbows could have a longer accurate range, whereas longbows could fire perhaps half-a-dozen aimed arrows to the crossbow's one. Longbows were responsible for our winning such battles as Crecy, Poitiers and especially Agincourt against the Frogs, who didn't exactly excel at longbows.

I am just about to finish off a couple of longbows, following a bow making course given to me as a retirement present by SWMBO. Nothing spectacular, I'm afraid. Just ash, which is OK though and much cheaper than yew (and easier to obtain). Then again, I'm not interested in winning any competitions. The idea of making a bow that works will be reward enough.

Cutting to size and shaping were the interesting bits; tillering and 'training to bend' are the more time-consuming things, which probably explains why I'm dragging my feet a little at the moment.

Fascinating info - as usual if you tap into the right people on here - so regarding my original post, you're in a war torn region, and government forces are taking out your towns, and you want to defend yourselves.... arms and munitions are costly and hard to come by, yet you have men and trees....... surely a crossbow is too hard to make correctly by a DIYer? but a decent bow, googled, with dart points on the end etc....surely most groups could muster a few dozen decent archers? a lethal force in my book, silent and deadly...?

Longbows v automatic weapons and tanks??? Probably have about as much chance as an errrm man against a lion.

Well assuming all you have is the wood i.e. no spring steel for the crossbows then there is little in it really. If you know have to make a stave then making the tiller or stock and trigger of the crossbow is easy. Plus bows take practice but the old argument is that if you can stand you can shoot a crossbow. .
Now if you have a workshop and some leaf springs.....

Longbows v automatic weapons and tanks??? Probably have about as much chance as an errrm man against a lion.

Oh come on sooey, lets try and make this work my friend... taking the pee is a negative approach lol.... after all we can't all be as clever as you.. !

i reckon i could make a decent bow that would be more lethal and less energetic than throwing a rock... that's my question really?

so regarding my original post, you're in a war torn region, and government forces are taking out your towns, and you want to defend yourselves.... arms and munitions are costly and hard to come by, yet you have men and trees.......

so regarding my original post, you're in a war torn region, and government forces are taking out your towns, and you want to defend yourselves.... arms and munitions are costly and hard to come by, yet you have men and trees.......

Play nicely sooey, ......

On second thoughts...shooting at an armoured personnel carrier with a bow, the man against the lion would have more chance. You never know the lion might get indigestion.

Sponsored Links