Ancient weapons..

Speaking of ancient weapons I've always quite fancied the idea of burying one of those spiked maces (morning star?) in someones helmet. The trouble with that in a battle situation must have been that by the time you'd prised it back out someone would have done the same to you.

There must of been a system for getting it out, like the blood channel helps when withdrawing a sword from some poor herbert.

Sponsored Links
Speaking of ancient weapons I've always quite fancied the idea of burying one of those spiked maces (morning star?) in someones helmet. The trouble with that in a battle situation must have been that by the time you'd prised it back out someone would have done the same to you.

Yeah, has that been on mythbusters yet? imagine that damage !!

For me literature from that period is much better then these dodgy bearded eccentrics. Usually more graphic as well. Alexiad has great descriptions of battles, ancient mullerings and whatnot.

Yeah, has that been on mythbusters yet? imagine that damage !!

For me literature from that period is much better then these dodgy bearded eccentrics. Usually more graphic as well. Alexiad has great descriptions of battles, ancient mullerings and whatnot.

You mean scribes were actually documenting this stuff? !!

But anyway, the longbow... is it any good? could we make it today? should we?

Sponsored Links
Too much training required plus some Frenchman would have your two fingers off and your goosed then.

You want a crossbow.

Too much training required plus some Frenchman would have your two fingers off and your goosed then.

You want a crossbow.

But seriously, rather than slinging rocks from an old sock, wouldn't a bow n arrow do much better?

Looking at the original post, for the angry young Arab you wont get much wood around the desert for arrows. Plenty of rocks though. Its the same as why these type of people use the Kalashnikov rather then something more accurate and complicated. The peasant vs the trained pro. Sadly angry uneducated young Arabs are plentiful round there and happy to chuck a rock while in an angry mob then leg it. Stick them in an army though with your bow and arrow where you want a bit of disicplined firing and ground standing and its white underpants on a stick time.

But anyway, the longbow... is it any good? could we make it today? should we?

My son did archery at QEH he went over to a shop just over the old bridge into Wales where he bought a composit bow, they had long bows for sale or you could buy the semi crafted bow and finish it off yourself, or go and find a Yew tree and start from scratch, at the archery contest there are a few different leagues for the various type of bow you shoot.

Re. crossbows, the longbow will out shoot it.

Saw an article in the papers at the weekend, with a picture of a youth with a slingshot risisting some authority in some war torn region... and i wondered if throwing rocks was the best resistance weapon?

Now i'm not taking sides, but just wondered if i ever found myself under siege by some peoples that i felt were unfairly stealing my land, how would i defend myself?

Based on everyday materials, wouldn't the longbow be the best weapon? Mythbusters have probably covered it. Yet you never see them, it's petrol bombs and rocks... am i missing sommat?

Without being trying to be contraversial (well not much) the hijacking of a passenger jet and flying it into a tall building was a remarkably effective and simple means of 'getting back' at a population. Completely changed the way we live too, they certainly made their mark.

A few mortar devices were found a day or so ago, no doubt made up with stuff you could find on an average farm.

I remember a popular science magazine (New Scientist??? ) explaining how to make an effective nuclear bomb with stuff you could buy from B&Q - apart from the fissile material which they said you would have to steal. The nuts and bolts of it however were available on the high street.

1970s I think, and if you happened to keep a copy of it and were the wrong colour it might be enough to put you away for many years.

And all because somebody used a simple airplane to run into a tall building.

It was the CIA behind it. The USA had no military clout in the region and the oil fields were at risk. By declaring a 'war on terror' they can now run roughshod over the whole of the middle east looking for 'bad guys'.

No need for an unwieldy longbow - how thoroughly do you need to skewer someone?
Didn't the Mongols conquer pretty much everything on front of them with a short bow that could be fired from horseback?
I reckon in a "civil" or urban conflict, a short bow would be more effective, as well as making you less likely to be killed yourself.

The mongols hunting bow was extremely powerful and deadly.
As too was the longbow, but required great strength and skill.
Crossbow, far more accurate than a longbow, but less distance.
I learned to shoot with a longbow, but mine only has approx. 35lb draw at 28". Preferred it over the recurve or compounf, although compound is fun...and very deadly.
At Agincourt the english bowmen were touted as having longbows with over 130lb draw :eek: .

I was a crack shot with my catapult when i was a kid, used to make my own and was very adept at modding it. ;) :rolleyes:

Was watching a documentary about the Crusades and the Turks there on the way were picking off the Crusader armies after they left Constantinople on the way to the Levant. They had a probably even better bow were they lay on their backs and used their legs to hold the bow and both arms to draw the string. Might not be as accurate as the longbow but the range and keeping you out of distance of reprisals was probably a better trade off, especially as they rained down arrows in numbers.

Are longbows hard to make perhaps?

They do require a certain amount of skill from choosing the right piece of timber to actually crafting it.I've made a couple in my time from yew and also from ash. The best ones are Spanish yew (although the balkans are being looked at now as a supply of quality yew) and can cost over a thousand pounds apiece. Arrows also aren't just a stick and good quality arrows, ash shafts , forged head, horn knocks, and matched flights will set you back about a hundred a dozen as well.
Then add in all the hours of practice and you soon see why the rock becomes attractive. Humans are also the best creature that has evolved that can throw things.

Sponsored Links