And one more floor levelling problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of opening up my existing kitchen and dining room to make a single kitchen / diner. Once the internal wall was removed it became apparent that the floors on either side were not level by some 10 - 15mm. My builder recommended the use of a latex floor levelling compound.
While the floor in the old dining room had been carpet over concrete screed the floor in the old kitchen had been sone form of vinyl or lino and this had been well and truly glued down to the underlying screed such that it could not be lifted even by chiselling.
The builder duly put down a first coat of 'latex' over the top of both the concrete screed and the lino (without first priming either surface) and then some 16 hours later put down a second coat despite the fact that the first was not fully set.
This second coat seemed to set completely and after 40+ hours I was able to walk on it without problem.
Now, some 60 hours on I notice that minute cracks are appearing in the surface which also now sounds hollow when tapped..
HELP....... what should I do? Should I be concerned and ask him to redo the job or can I continue to get my new vinyl flooring laid over the top.
With grateful thanks to anyone who can offer advice

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately your builder isn't a flooring pro. The stuck down vinyl should be taken up, both sides should have been primed and then leveling compound applied. There are some compounds which can be used without priming but your builder has probably used a Wickes water based one (or similar) which does need priming. Also if the 1st coat hadn't dried or even looked like it was then he's probably added to much water to make it flow better, all this does it weaken the screed.
To take up the vinyl a "bully stripper" is used (they can be hired but alot of pro's have them).
Take it all up and get it done correctly from the start. If you lay ontop of the screed which has been put down it will crack and crumble especially if its already got hair line cracks in it and its sounding hollow, ultimately wasting your money that you've spent on the flooring.

The problem you have will not improve with age.
Was the vinyl/lino that was already down a solid or cushion product? Although it may be difficult and hard work most products can be uplifted and this is what should have happened in your case. Was a test done to establish if there was a damp issue?

From what you describe(sounding hollow) it appears to have blown and would need to be done again.
Personally I'm not in favour of latex screeds I prefer water based screeds - they flow better, are stronger and give a much smoother finish.

What vinyl flooring are you going to lay is it cushion or lvt eg. Karndean/Amtico?

Not good news I'm afraid but good luck.

Sponsored Links
Just to add to your misery !!

Yes, the vinyl/lino should have been removed, there are simple, relatively inexpensive floor scrapers available to hire to do this. And yes, a latex screed does need a primer, a neoprene primer watered down.

Just to note, i have succesfully layed latex screeds over realy well stuck down linoleum tiles (not cusion floor) for cost cutting purposes and of course had my customers sign a declaration should it go wrong!! all against my advice..

However, it has worked for me and no problems reported as yet.

In this instance, your builder should bare all responsibility and remove all what he has done and start again.

There is also the issue of a DPM !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back