Angle of a brace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When making a ledge and brace garden gate what is the minimum and maximum angle a brace should be positioned at? From what I've read the angle should be 45 degrees or more. If it's more than 45 degrees what is the max range?

Attachments

• angle.png
    angle.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
For it to be 45 degrees the door would have to be very short, or very wide.

I do not speak with any authority but surely it need to be a long as it needs to be? The longer the door, the greater the angle will become. I cannot, off the top of my head, work out why any angle under 90 degrees will be an issue.

Use two.

Attachments

• 809A5FD8-F4A4-4E07-AF68-F63EC86B8A7F.jpeg
    809A5FD8-F4A4-4E07-AF68-F63EC86B8A7F.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 71

But they should both go in the same direction. From the hinge side upwards to the latch side.
Gives the effect of two Z's sitting one on top of the other with a horizontal bar running between them.
In the case below, the hinges would be on the left side.

Attachments

• solid-rustic-oak-ledge-and-brace-door.jpg
    solid-rustic-oak-ledge-and-brace-door.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
But they should both go in the same direction. From the hinge side upwards to the latch side.
Gives the effect of two Z's sitting one on top of the other with a horizontal bar running between them.

I had an LBF made, pretty well I think, and it still sagged.

I've come to the view that they ought to be made, with the lock style an inch or so higher than the hinge side, so they can sag a bit and load up the braces.

rather like making pre-stressed concrete

They can be made either way

I had an LBF made, pretty well I think, and it still sagged.
But did you just leave the end of the diagonals cut flat?

Ledge and Braced Door.jpg

or did you seat the ends of the brace in notches cut into the ledges to stop them moving?

Ledged and Braced 001.jpg
Ledged and Braced 002.jpg

That's one of two methods I was taught - the other is this:

Ledged and Braced 004.jpg
Ledged and Braced 003.jpg

The "modern" way of not putting a notch in there puts all the strain from the brace into the planks alone, and of course planks can swell or shrink (especially if they are outdoors), so the gate is more likely to droop if you don't add that notch. The fact is that ledged and braced gates will always droop a little, but notching the ends of the diagonal bracesn reduces the tendency, but if you want to avoid that completely you need to go to something like a framed, ledged and braced frame with a planked cladding which is a lot more work

They can be made either way
That's not what I was taught - and not what I've taught apprentices, either. The braces should always run diagonally upwards away from the hinges

Last edited by a moderator:
I do know about the slanting pockets for the ends of the brace, but it was made for me by a skilled-seeming young local joiner who cut them flat.

I re-hung it upside down about a year ago and have it in mind to add a studding or cable tensioner from top hinge side to bottom lock side.

But did you just leave the end of the diagonals cut flat?

View attachment 276784

or did you seat the ends of the brace in notches cut into the ledges to stop them moving?

That's not what I was taught - and not what I've taught apprentices, either. The braces should always run diagonally upwards away from the hinges

Yes, thats what we were taught in woodwork at school and the way I have made them.

I do know about the slanting pockets for the ends of the brace, but it was made for me by a skilled-seeming young local joiner who cut them flat.
They don't teach them the way they used to (NVQs aren't C&Gs) - it's all about throw it in, get the money and beggar off these days...

I... ...have it in mind to add a studding or cable tensioner from top hinge side to bottom lock side.
Add more weight and the extra weight might cause the droop to get worse.

Was your guy clued up enough to nail the gate together and clench them over?

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back