Angled entrance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Entrance to stairs from angled opening need to complain with building regulations.

Hi all. Could you please advise me if the entrance of a stairs (no door needed) needs to complain with certain dimensions wide and high for building regulations?. I have an angled opening to a 1st floor because of the stairs above to second floor. The centre of the opening is 2m but the lowest side of the opening is 1.6m

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Got a plan/section/photos etc to upload to explain better? Is this for a loft conversion or something else?

Hi, it is a new building.

Attachments

• 20231128_085506.jpg
    20231128_085506.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 51
Do you have a plan too? You would normally achieve 2m headroom above the pitch line unless it was the stairs to a loft conversion (which this is not). But post the plan because it's not clear from just the section. Isn't your designer aware of these basic regulations? Or are you doing your own drawings?

Sponsored Links
worth noting that a door can't swing over a stair, not clear from your drawing if this is the case, but if it is, then it won't comply with building regs.

I think this is more clear. And there is not door. Just would like to know if this would comply with b regs.

Attachments

• 20231128_131910.jpg
    20231128_131910.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 51
it would also need to comply with parts k & m, it's difficult to understand this without a plan. What aspect of part b are you concerned about?

why don't you ask your approved building inspector? This would see to be a bit of a grey area. What is this element of the design part of? Is this something that is being built?

The door swinging over the stairs does not comply with building regs. Also a landing at the top of the stairs has to be the same width as your stairs, I would argue also that your doorway doesn't allow this. Why do you want to do this and make it awkward for anyone accessing the stairs?

Sorry, maybe this is more clear.

Attachments

• 20231128_143916.jpg
    20231128_143916.jpg
    556.6 KB · Views: 35

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back