Building and fire regulations adding bedrooms to openplan space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's essentially a "shell" residential warehouse style space about 800sqft, not including kitchen, bathroom space etc.

At the moment, we have a plywood partition at one end with 2 bedrooms built years ago without building control notification etc. and a large open living room. Ideally we would plaster existing bedrooms and add some nice floor to ceiling solid wood doors. And build another bedroom with small ensuite at the other end of the room. Please see plan below.

I wondering what regulations would apply, i.e. fire doors, smoke detectors, any problems with the layout for escape i.e. doors opening onto open space etc.? We are on 1st floor with our own entrance/exit to an external staircase.

I have looked at the regulations and not sure which would apply in this situation. Also read lots of conflicting information out there.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 285
Sponsored Links
There is only one regulation:

The building shall be designed and constructed so that there are appropriate provisions for the early warning of fire, and appropriate means of escape in case of fire from the building to a place of safety outside the building capable of being safely and effectively used at all material times.

Approved Document B goes on to explain various ways in which this regulation might be achieved, but all you really need to do is think sensibly about how that regulation might be achieved, and agree that strategy with the Approved Inspector/Building Control Officer.

In this instance, as long as exit through the windows is reasonable (and Approved Document B gives some guidance on that), then interlinked, mains smoke and fire alarms, and a fire-rated door separating the bedrooms from the kitchen would seem like a sensible way to go.

OK thanks. How do I determine if my property is more than 4.5M above ground level i.e. where do I measure to: the window sill, window opening or the floor?

Also, regulation says the bottom of the "opening of the window" should be not more than 110mm from floor. The bottom of window at the sill is about 800mm and the window that open 130mm. So that means I will need to replace the window? I am confused because some of the window manufacturers refer to the "bottom edge" of the window being 110mm not the "opening part".

Regarding fire doors: is it just the kitchen or will the bedrooms opening on to the space also require fire doors because there is no hallway for escape?

Thanks again.

Is the floor of your flat more than 4.5m above the ground level outside your flat?

The guidance says that one way to satisfy the regulation is to provide openable windows whose openable part

- is not more than 1100mm above the floor level (measured to the bottom of the openable part)
- is not less than 0.33 sqm
- is not less than 450mm in either direction

All the doors except the bathroom doors will need to be half-hour fire-rated (incidentally, as far as I'm aware, nobody makes a 20-minute door).

Sponsored Links
I was referring to the plywood partition. Everything else was a fully approved development. We are on 1st floor, there is one floor above us all self contained units.

If it's a three storey building, then the full fire regulations apply, and escape via windows won't do.

Protected escape route to outside, 30 minute compartments, and an L3 fire alarm system.

And if your external staircase is within influencing distance of doors or windows in the flat below, that would need protecting.

"If it's a three storey building, then the full fire regulations apply, and escape via windows won't do."

What's that got to do with the price of fish? It's the height of the floor level of the relevant flat that matters, not the height of the builidng.

"If it's a three storey building, then the full fire regulations apply, and escape via windows won't do."

What's that got to do with the price of fish? It's the height of the floor level of the relevant flat that matters, not the height of the builidng.

Number of storeys has everything to do with fire regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back