Staircase regulations for stepped landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, thanks in advance for any tips or help you can provide!
I'm having a loft conversion done early next year and I wondered you could help me out with the landing placement/door opening.
I've attached 2 files - the architects suggestion (which is not very good in terms of useable space and light) and then a second suggestion which is my own.
Note that we are looking to maximise the large bedroom space so are happy to lose the smaller bedroom by using the space as the ensuite bathroom and then a small study at the back.
I understand from regulations that there is a need for a landing at the top of the staircase and that the doors cannot open onto this space or must be set 400mm away from the edge. Does still apply if the door is on its own landing as well? Because of the bathroom door location I want to open the bedroom door onto the landing as we will always sleep with our bedroom door open so we can hear the babies downstairs. Having the bedroom door open will block the walkway to the bathroom
Thanks again in advance

Attachments

• LOFT LAYOUT - NEW.pdf
    88.2 KB · Views: 83
  • LOFT LAYOUT - ORIGINAL.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Have you got a section or a 3d section?

Loft floor plans always look great in 2d, but then the sloping roof tends to reduce the useable space.

IMG_2761.png

Sponsored Links
It’s going to be a tight ceiling height but looking to find out the best layout we can achieve with the stairs and landing situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back