Angled garden gate post advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the gate and post of the house moved into recently.

The gate has to be at an angle from the house to the boundary fence.

At the moment the gate is using a 75mm arris rails as gate posts, the post holding the hinge is solid but the one on the house is loose and only half overlaps the house (you can see in the close up photo).

Do I simply replace the post attached to the house with a new arris rail or should I use a proper (square) gate post?

Attachments

• IMAG6957.jpg
    IMAG6957.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 436
  • IMAG6959.jpg
    IMAG6959.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 629
  • IMAG6960.jpg
    IMAG6960.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 370
  • IMAG6961.jpg
    IMAG6961.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 345
Sponsored Links
You need to change the other post too the top of it is rotten and depending how far down the rot you might not be able to save it

Its up to you how you replace the Arris fence support , it appears to work as is , you could replace with a square post but that would narrow the gate or you could cut a V into the square post to mould it to the corner of the building , the choice is yours

the weight of the gate is carried by the hinges, so consider, when you rebuild, hanging the hinges on the post fixed to the house.

hook and band hinges are much stronger and longer-lasting than the T-hinges you currently have. Choose a hinge about one-third the width of the gate. You can paint them before fitting.

Thanks for the tips @sircerebus666 and @JohnD, I will replace both posts and use a hook and band hinge.

If I use the v-cut method in a square post, what tool is best for that? A circ saw at 45 degrees? Sound like a tough one to brace the post properly in order to cut.

Sponsored Links
It would need to be secured in a vice or workbench

Doable though , just be careful to transfer the correct angle to the post or you will be breaking out the chisel to correct!

A table mounted circular saw would be ideal to cut the V.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back