Gate post to fence angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm going to install a new 0.9 x 1.8m wooden gate on the side of the house with a fence running from this to the fence along the boundary of the property.

The only thing is I plan to use 75mm fence posts for the gate (the hinges will be on the one connected to the wall) - the fence will join the other post at a funny angle, probably 150 degrees. Could I bend some angle brackets and use these to fix it to the post or is it possible to get the post cut lengthways to the angle I need?

Also would 75mm be heavy duty enough? The fence is also going to be on a bit of a slope so I may have gaps to one side of each panel (I reckon 2 1/2 panels at most)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think 75mm is pretty well the minimum for a gate post so instead of reducing the size of the post by having it cut at a 150 degree angle can you add a piece of timber that is about 20mm at one side and whatever it needs to be to get the correct angle at the other side, screw this to the 75 x 75 post.

Ok I will try attaching another piece of wood to it, thanks

Sponsored Links
Any idea where I could get this piece cut?
Do you have a decent circular saw bench? Most will tilt to any angle you need.
If not ask at any saw mill if they will supply a piece cut to the angle you need.

Maybe i didn't fully read the post, but most hinges operate at at least 180deg... which is much bigger than the 90deg it's usuall required for..!! check out that attaching it to a post on the skew won't just be ok !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back