Animal Cruelty Prosecutions on the rise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading a report on animal cruelty from the RSPCA showing that despite the number reports of cruelty staying the same from 2010 to 2012, the number of convictions secured has increased year on year.

The overwhelming majority of convictions were for the offence of causing an animal unnecessary suffering. (section 4 of the animal welfare act 2006)

Also interesting to note the biggest increase in convictions was for cruelty to small mammals with an exponential rise, and the other one that caught my eye was that convictions for cruelty to wild birds has more than doubled in those 3 years.

I think that whatever your stance on animal rights, one must agree that it is important that cruelty to animals is treated as unacceptable, with no place in a civilised society and that anti social behaviour tendancies usually manifests itself in the form of cruelty to defenceless animals. Shows the courts are now recognising this more and more.

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cms...goBlobs&blobwhere=1233021527879&ssbinary=true

Sponsored Links
Whilst I don't condone cruelty to animals it is very low on my priority list when you think that fellow humans are capable of extraordinary cruelty to children.

When you know for a fact that a childs' mother can stand by and watch her own child be beaten or starved to death then it comes as no shock at all hearing reports of cruelty to animals.

The NSPCC would get my money or attention long before any poxy dog.

I agree with you that children always take priority over animals. what you'll find though is that people who are cruel to animals and let them suffer would sometimes progress to doing the same to a child because they are also weaker and defenceless. I wouldn't trust a babysitter that neglected her own pets, would you?

Just been reading a report on animal cruelty from the RSPCA showing that despite the number reports of cruelty staying the same from 2010 to 2012, the number of convictions secured has increased year on year.

The overwhelming majority of convictions were for the offence of causing an animal unnecessary suffering. (section 4 of the animal welfare act 2006)

I presume that this doesn't apply to halal slaughter.

Sponsored Links

You presume correct. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Some religions are only just admitting to abuse of children.
Some still refuse to consider contraception or abortion, under any circumstances.
Some religions refuse to accept homosexuality.
Some idiots think it's acceptable to ferment racial abuse.
Some people seem to think that Halal slaughter is more important than, say, child poverty. :rolleyes:

Don't you think there are some more important issues to be addressed?

Similarly, people who abuse others on social media could go on to abuse people in reality, because abusing others "floats their boat." :rolleyes:

Also interesting to note the biggest increase in convictions was for cruelty to small mammals with an exponential rise, and the other one that caught my eye was that convictions for cruelty to wild birds has more than doubled in those 3 years.

I think that whatever your stance on animal rights, one must agree that it is important that cruelty to animals is treated as unacceptable, with no place in a civilised society and that anti social behaviour tendancies usually manifests itself in the form of cruelty to defenceless animals. Shows the courts are now recognising this more and more.

http://content.www.rspca.org.uk/cms...blobwhere=1233021527879&ssbinary=true[/QUOTE]
Wierd that statistic caught your eye. Considering the cruelty to equines also nearly trebled, while the cruelty to farm animals more than trebled, and the cruelty to small mammals nearly quadrupled.
Interestingly also that wild birds were the second fewest of the type of animals that were treated cruelly.
Yet you highlighted this information. Why?

The information at the end of the report that you referred to:

NUMBER OF CONVICTIONS UNDER THE ANIMAL WELFARE
ACT 2006 RELATING TO:
Year 2012 2011 2010
Dogs 2,568 2,105 1,726
Cats 635 428 386
Equines 500 230 175
Rabbits 231 170 121
Exotics 152 122 85
Farm Animals 49 22 15
Wild Birds 61 58 27
Small mammals 354 97 96

I totally agree it is important that cruelty to animals is treated as unacceptable. Just as abuse on internet forums is treated as unacceptable.

This report was from 2012, so why your sudden interest in cruelty to animals, the peculiar attention to wild birds, and thus your attempt at distortion of the real facts?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It worked! I don't know what he said, but my comment obviously hit the mark!

Unfortunately not. It would seem that religion gets a get out of jail free card for just about anything, even though there are modern methods of slaughtering animals with the least amount of suffering, people are still cutting their throats with blades. And although the holy book says use a sharp knife, one stroke etc etc, do we really believe a worker on minimum wage with hundreds of cows to slaughter every hour is going to make a perfect ninja cut with a sharpened blade for every one? Nah, more like running round hacking at the cattle's necks with the blade he's been using all day.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It worked! I don't know what he said, but my comment obviously hit the mark!
But if you've no idea what I said, how can you assume your comment has had any influence?
You do say some stupid things. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately not. It would seem that religion gets a get out of jail free card for just about anything, even though there are modern methods of slaughtering animals with the least amount of suffering, people are still cutting their throats with blades. And although the holy book says use a sharp knife, one stroke etc etc, do we really believe a worker on minimum wage with hundreds of cows to slaughter every hour is going to make a perfect ninja cut with a sharpened blade for every one? Nah, more like running round hacking at the cattle's necks with the blade he's been using all day.

What a stupid, ridiculous comment.
Based wholly and completely on prejudice, not a shred of evidence.

A totally biased assumption based on your imagination, for your own idelogical agenda. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Whilst I don't condone cruelty to animals it is very low on my priority list when you think that fellow humans are capable of extraordinary cruelty to children.

When you know for a fact that a childs' mother can stand by and watch her own child be beaten or starved to death then it comes as no shock at all hearing reports of cruelty to animals.

That's good that you would give money to the nspcc. It shows you care.
Though actions always speak louder than words.
How much do you give to the nspcc each year? Sweet fa I suspect.

We all know you wouldn't pizz on a dog if it was on fire. So why do you always feel the need to stick your oar in on these types of threads?

Didn't take long for this thread to swing round to internet forum abuse,,,,, Wonder why ?
Why not read the comments and work it out for yourself.
JBR's comment about Halal slaughterbeing cruel, perhaps.
But you knew that really, didn't you? :rolleyes:

That's good that you would give money to the nspcc. It shows you care.
Though actions always speak louder than words.
How much do you give to the nspcc each year? Sweet fa I suspect.

We all know you wouldn't pizz on a dog if it was on fire. So why do you always feel the need to stick your oar in on these types of threads?
I don't know noseall's answer, but I would guess he'd say, "why do you?"

But from a bystander's viewpoint I would also add that noseall's comments are most often positive contributions, but I'd struggle to say that about any of your posts.

Sponsored Links
Back