Annonymous e-mails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I occasionally get e-mails which have been sent to a number of people including myself where the TO field reads "undisclosed recipients". Can anyone tell me how i send an e-mail in this way to a group of people without the recipients being able to see who else i've sent it to?

Sponsored Links
Use the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) to put the names of all the recipients in, instead of the To or CC boxes.

Just put one name in the To box, use your own if you want so that you get a c opy of the email and can see what the others all receive.

dave

Thanks Dave - the BCC rings a bell now but i'm using OE6 and in the compose new mail window there are only To: and CC: boxes? No BCC:confused:?

And on a related issue. Once i've sent an e-mail, is there any way of going into the copy in my 'sent items' and checking if i requested a 'read receipt' when i sent it??

Just had a play and i can now use the BCC box if i go into 'select recipient' window. Can i get OE6 to display the BCC box on the main 'compose e-mail' window?

Sponsored Links
Just had a play and i can now use the BCC box if i go into 'select recipient' window. Can i get OE6 to display the BCC box on the main 'compose e-mail' window?

Its OK have found the option now. Thanks for the heads up on what the BCC box is for!!

Any help on the 'read receipt' issue still greatfully received!

Andrew,
I use Thunderbird now, but from memory:
Open OE and the New Message window.
Click the little book icon next to 'To'
Hold down the CTRL key and click to highlite each name that you want to send to.
Click 'BCC' and the names will appear in the BCC box. Click OK and return to the New message window, all the names will be on the BCC address line.

As for the Request receipt question, I don't know but have a look and see if there is any indication that you requested a receipt. Try sending a message to yourself and request a receipt, then see what it shows in the Sent message folder.

dave

Just a quick heads up to make sure you are aware that while they might not be able to see each other, they can still see who sent them the e-mail even if you use a fake e-mail address as your IP will still be visible unless you use some sort of proxy.

Use Mixmaster, strips off the headers and sends it though about 9 random proxies. Stripping off the headers each time, not totally untraceable, but for a normal user, it is!

Mixmaster is secure enough unless you are spamming, distributing pictures nobody should or plotting world government decline. The server admins will get you for the first two cases and the CIA for the third. I should have thought to add that when I said proxy too I meant "anonymous" proxy, as much as any can be, Mixmaster is a decent enough way to do this, as is TOR, botnets (illegal) or ... well you get the idea, and if you don't use Mixmaster or TOR if you need to be anonymous and don't send the kind of thing that will get server admins or CIA after you...

I know that I am resurrecting a really old thread but my search only found this one.
I am secretary for a charity and need to send emails using BCC which is easy to do.
I use Outlook on my PC and Laptop and can easily send emails to the members using BCC and leave the "To" field blank or put my name in it.
I sometimes get emails that have "Undisclosed recipient" in the "to" field and I think this looks good and is better than showing my name.
How do I send an email using Outlook and show "undisclosed recipients" in the "to" field for all who receive it to see?

Jthey can still see who sent them the e-mail even if you use a fake e-mail address as your IP will still be visible unless you use some sort of proxy.

They can only see you IP address if you have a fixed IP address. If you use a router provided by say BT Broadband they have a floating IP address that changes everytime you reboot the rooter

How do I send an email using Outlook and show "undisclosed recipients" in the "to" field for all who receive it to see?

Opinions differ, but that would look suspiciously spammy to me if I saw it in my inbox.

You can put the name that corresponds to your distribution list, such as "Members of South Mimms Philately Club"

Sponsored Links
Back