Annoying British Screw Size

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am trying to match a pre-metric screw in an oldish English lock. Probably from the 1980's though it was designed in the 1960's or 1970's, and the factory probably used their existing tools.

It is almost M4 (later versions of this same model lock have an M4) but an M4 binds and will not go beyond around half a turn, so the thread is obviously wrong although the size is about right.

I thought it was UNC #6-32, which enters, and screws home tightly, so the thread must be about right, but is a very loose fit and wobbles (until it is screwed tight enough for the head to be tight)

So what can it be?

Sponsored Links
you have the thread pitch as well ??
1/8 off an inch would off course be 3.175mm

The screw is only about 5mm long, so quite difficult for me to count TPI.

I believe #6-32 is about 3.5mm major dia, so the size I need must be nearer 4mm, but in a non-metric size. #6-32 has 32TPI and threads easily into the parts. M4 just about fits, but will not go more than half a turn as the thread is wrong.

I don't think I've got any 4BA, though I have some 2BA for a different purpose. I think of BA as an electrican's thread. 4BA is 3.6mm major, so I think would still be loose.

Funnily enough the old screw is marked as Pozidriv, so it must be "transitional" screw they used before going over to metric.

Sponsored Links
I reckon it's probably Whitworth

5/32" BSW
32 TPI

that would explain the #6-32 UNC screwing in at 32TPI

arnt the screws in electrical sockets or switches about 3mm ??

Modern electric socket and switch faceplate screws are M3.5

but old (very old) UK switches and sockets had, I think, 2BA screws to hold the fronts on (and probably other sizes in other electrical equipment).

5/32" BSW Csk Stainless machine screws are hard to find....

but old (very old) UK switches and sockets had, I think, 2BA screws to hold the fronts on (and probably other sizes in other electrical equipment).

No, those were smaller than 2BA, maybe 4BA. 2BA were used in conduit boxes.

just found that 5/32 BSW is size of Meccano screws.

But no use to me, I need CSK stainless.

ah, but that has a major diameter of 4.763mm, so my M4 screw should have dropped into it... but was a tight fit and would only go about half a turn before binding :(

TPI of 3/16" is 24, but a UNC of 32TPI threaded in easily (but was loose)

Last edited:
well, I ordered some 3/16" BSW and some 5/32" BSW.

The 3/16" arrived but are definitely too big and the thread is too coarse.

Hoping the 5/32" will arrive and be the one.
Didn't manage to locate CSK stainless yet.

cant you retap the holes to suit a slightly larger thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back