Annoying customers Top Ten

I have never guaranteed anything I have not purchased myself.

Sponsored Links
I fitted one of the Schneider Easy9+ boards the other day, it had plenty of room. It was a dual RCD with 2 RCBOs. Would certainly recommend. The instruction manual was good as were the labels (except for the weird symbols, several of which I couldn't work out what they were supposed to be!) They also offer a service where you can get magnetic labels that cover the front of the DB. The client sent in a photo to be printed, the image quality was great, and it took only a couple of working days to arrive.

The downsides were the odd crossing over busbars below the main switch and the neutral terminals being down each side, no problem on a new install, but likely to mean lots of extending wires on a fuseboard replacement. It would be nice if the manufacturers stopped putting knockouts on the enclosures, as they are always in the wrong place, or in the way of holes you want to make.

I replaced an old fuse box with a metal Schneider one the other day.

I wasn't very impressed.

There were knock-outs at the top, but none at the bottom.

Since you are more likely to run the tails through the bottom, and I didn't have my hole-saws with me, I wasn't very happy.

Seems to be wasted space at the bottom, and not enough space at the top, particularly if using RCBOs.

And not enough space between the back of the board and the busbar to run cables and more importantly tails through.

It seemed side entry cabling wouldn't be very easy either.

Neutral block seemed to be positioned too far away too.

And it seems a bad design to have to make a kink in the busbar as the live terminals on the main switch do not sit adjacent the live breakers. The neutral terminal is directly next to the where the MCBs sit. Not a problem, but keeps you on your toes.

5/10 for don't bother.

Sponsored Links
The Acti9 ones are brilliant, don't know why the Easy9 don't just follow the same principle with cheaper devices.

And I think Acti9 look ok, but the easy9 look WEIRD

The easy 9 (non +) are a nightmare with these plastic rails that run almost top to bottom at the 2 sides, they make routing cables around the unit rather difficult.

Seems to be wasted space at the bottom, and not enough space at the top, particularly if using RCBOs.
I did think that, if the cover wasn't designed to have the hinges top or bottom it would be possible to fit the din rail lower.

Tradesmen at my home, get Tea/Coffee & if they turn up early, it will be a bacon roll, with sauce of their choice.

Did this for the removal men last time we moved houses for the spare bedroom, (12 months ago next week).
They were amazed! Kept them supplied with tea/coffee throughout the day when they wanted them and they worked like troopers. Had a bit of trouble getting a bed up the stairs for the spare bedroom and was on the point of scrapping it and buying a new self-assembly one. One of the guys says, "No problem. I'm an ex-window fitter." Pulls out a tool box, proceeds to remove the upper window and shows me what was involved. Got the bed in, window re-fitted and a sketch of how to do it if we decide to change the bed.

Move completed 3 hours earlier than expected, we were very happy and they got a nice little bonus. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back