Another battery thread...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2016 9th gen Honda 1.6 idtec DSAP (Honda Driver Assistance Safety Pack).
EFB Battery (Enhanced Flooded Battery).
Intelligent Battery Sensor (ISB) Forming part of Battery Management System (BMS).
Owned from new, Honda serviced.

From some reading, if I change battery for approved type (Varta 70AH 620CCA EFB), what needs to be 'reset' within the BMS or any other location ? I gather the system has been building a battery profile, regarding age, use etc, built I guess from a default profile when the car / battery was new, this apparently could / would lead to a new battery being overcharged, with out some kind of reset or not quite BMW style complexity new battery 'registration'.
Have recharged on vehicle using Cetek smart charger - 'Start / Stop' function remains locked out, due I guess to low battery prior to charging.
Interesting point (I thought anyway) ought to connect charger at the ground point on the body - ah ha is this 'safety Sally' at work ? Apparently not only, but also connected thus the current passes through the - here we go again !! - ISB fitted to Negative battery post.
Takes 10 mins for amp draw from battery to drop to its minimum (0.15A) in broad daylight with everything I can find turned off - Bluetooth, Wifi, interior lights, in cabin movement sensors.

Recovered from a Civic forum elsewhere.
From Honda Service Bulletin No SR-27-001-00
"...If auto idle stop is inoperative due to the low battery symbol, conduct the following special charging treatment that will recover an undamaged battery:
Note: Both battery terminals should be connected during this charging procedure.
The negative charger clamp should be connected to the body cable side of the battery sensor in position (A or B) depending on model and grade. The positive charger
clamp should be connected to the positive battery terminal (C).
CONTINUATION SHEET
If the negative charger clamp is connected
incorrectly on to the battery negative terminal the
battery sensor will not detect the charging current
flow. This will result in the Auto Idle Stop system
being disabled by the ECM/PCM software logic..."

I am thinking about purchasing an ODP2 device... But, which to buy for my application then which codes / registers to change? Much on-line 'talk' but as usual little definitive, actual use on actual model stuff - you know how it goes.
Cannot find a reasonably priced 'Workshop Manual' - First time ever !!

Thinking after CVD-19, if there is to be an 'after' ! Motoring wise, or not so wise - batteries may well be a problem both in use and availability... People may learn about impending problems when a simple recharge may be difficult due vehicle location when parked. Get a nicely packaged 'jumper' battery - had Honda away and running in minutes - Should I have connected as per the charging recommendation above, or bypassed the IBS ??

And the 10 year old Note oil burner soldiers on - short runs, multiple restarts - wife steady driving... Everything electrical remains sound - changed battery for approved one about 4 yrs ago...

-0-

Sponsored Links
Back