Another building costs question for the forum, sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First of all happy Christmas!

I recently asked a builder I often use to price up a single storey extension. In short its approx. 3m x 2.5 that will house a new downstairs loo. It will basically fill the space at the front of the house between the kitchen and the garage.

I think I am happy with the price as there a lot to work including drains, knocking out some existing walls, bulling a small apex roof over the current flat roof and new front door and round window.
The price came in at just under £14,000.
Based on £1000 per sqm it may be a little over but I know the quality will be there.
Does 14k sound about right?

Anyway, as we don’t have an on suite we suddenly had a brain wave. Rather than it being a single storey we could go up a level and create a new bathroom upstairs. At a later date when i had the money convert the original bathroom to an on suite (main bedroom and bathroom are next to each other).
I was thinking that this wouldn’t add too much to the cost, we have the foundations, roof and lower walls in the original quote, so it’s some extra bricks, plasterboard, insulation, few electric point, bit of plumbing and labour.
Now admittedly this was over the phone so understand not a detailed price but would expect a ball park figure. The price given was 30-40k!!!! :eek:

Does that sound right for a two storey 2.5x3m extension for a downstairs loo and upstairs bathroom (nothing flash)? The left wall is already built (current external house wall).
I would love to get it done as a 4 bed house with one bathroom and a family of 4 is a pain.
God knows how people lived with one shared outside loo ;)

Sponsored Links
Based on £1000 per sqm it may be a little over but I know the quality will be there.
Does 14k sound about right?

Well what do you expect people to say ? You are aware of the rule of thumb price, you know your builder and say he has done good quality work in the past and then you appeal to hundreds of unknown people to give you an answer :eek:

Same really for the second question. You asked your guy over the phone - maybe he was having his tea and didn't have any of his notes with him - so he takes original price x 2(ish) and adds another 10 k for wriggle room in case there are lots of things you forgot to mention.

You've got a ball-park figure, so since you know him, get him back and go over your requirements in detail to get a firm, detailed quote .

Sponsored Links
The only way to be sure is to get a detailed drawing complete with a comprehensive (current building reg's) specification and invite three or four recommended builders round to quote like for like.

Bare in mind that if you want the full and fair price schedule then you will need to detail things like electrics, plumbing, floor and wall finishes etc and be sure to include brand names, tile types, specific radiator types, taps, light fittings etc, etc.

If you don't do this then prices are not comparable.

However, if you wanted a basic shell then the b'regs specification can be used by the builders for an accurate representation.

mointainwalker :
I didn't expect anything, all I was after was some guidance on price and if it seemed ok.
Anyway, thanks both for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back