Another Chrome Bottle Trap fitting question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the planning/purchasing stage of a downstairs toilet refurbishment and will be installing a Armitage Shanks Edit S 45cm Handrinse Basin and using a Chrome plated Bottle Trap, similar to the one in the photo:

ASH_EditS_S080501_WCuto_GB_preview.jpg

Currently, the toilet sink has white plastic pipe coming out of the wall, into a plastic bottle trap. The external diameter of the plastic pipe is 34.5mm. I'm assuming this will be a standard 32mm internal diameter pipe? I'm currently unable to determine how the pipe connects within the wall, so don't know if it is using a compression fitting or it is cemented.

I've been looking at the following bottle traps:

Chrome plated metal 1 1/4" with 75mm seal

This is the one shown on the Ideal Standard website, using links from the above sink. Googling the model number shows a price of over £100, so I think I'll forget this one!

However, I did find another at Victorian Plumbing, which is chrome plated brass and looks very similar:

Round Modern Basin Bottle Trap

This is a fraction of the price of the Ideal Standard version.

Both of the above are showing a diameter of 35mm for the pipe that fits in the wall. Not sure if this would fit "over" the existing 34.5mm diameter plastic pipe.

I see that Screwfix sell a MCalpine 32mm chrome plated bottle trap with a 50mm water seal.

I assume that a larger water seal is better i.e. 75mm is better than 50mm, or doesn't it really matter for a small basin?

How do these chrome plated bottle traps connect upto the existing plastic piping?

I'm expecting to have to cut some plaster/plasterboard around the existing plastic pipe where it comes out of the wall, but not sure if the new chrome plated pipe will simply push over the top i.e. slide into the wall a little (but then how does it seal?), or if I will need to cut away the plasterboard to access the point at which the existing plastic pipe turns through 90 degrees. If this is a compression fitting, then I guess I would replace the hole length of plastic pipe with the new chrome plated pipe (assuming it is long enough). If it is a cement fitting, then there's no advantage to cutting away the plasterboard, unless I need to use a compression fitting, hidden within the wall. I'm fairly sure this wall is a stud wall as there's a room on the other side and it sounds hollow.

Any thoughts on good quality chrome plated bottle traps and how they connect upto existing plastic piping?

Sponsored Links
The screwfix one you linked to says in the first review

" If you are concealing the waste in the wall then this is the ideal trap. The reason being is that it comes supplied with the correct fitment that you need to get the chrome pipe into solvent weld waste.

I fitted a similar one in my old house and vaguely remember joining the chrome to the existing plastic under the supplied cover.

Oddly, I recently fitted a cloakroom sink and trap from Victoria plum. This didn't have an attachment, however, it went into a stud wall so I just used a compression fitting on the supplied chrome pipe.

Go with the McAlpine one, universal fitting so it'll go straight on, the 50mm seal will be fine. The others sound like they are a European 35mm fitting and may need an adapter.

Sponsored Links
I used this adapter for my existing Solvent pipework which was in a wall like that
https://www.wolseley.co.uk/product/mcalpine-abs-connector-32-35mm-x-125-brass-chrome-plated/

Thanks, it looks like this adapter would be used with the first two "35mm" bottle traps and should be a simple case of cutting the existing pipe flush with the wall, then cementing this adapter to the existing pipe and finally pushing the new chrome covered pipe into the adapter. So, this chrome end of the adapter would protrude out from the wall and would be wider than the bottle trap pipe, which is 35mm. The only unknown is whether the "cover" at the end of the chrome pipe would hide the adapter, but I guess it would always be fitted further into the wall, but then this would require the existing pipe to be cut back further, which would be difficult!

Go with the McAlpine one, universal fitting so it'll go straight on, the 50mm seal will be fine. The others sound like they are a European 35mm fitting and may need an adapter.

Yes, I like McAlpine gear and usually pay the extra for their products, especially traps. However, the adapter that comes with this one is a 90 deg bend, so I would definitely have to cut out the plasterboard to get at the bend in the stud wall and that seems like a lot more work. I guess I could always purchase a straight adapter. Not sure if this one would be compatible. Would the McAlpine bottle trap chrome plated pipe fit over the top of the wide part of the adaptor?

I see McAlpine also make a 75mm chrome plated bottle trap.

this is the bottle trap i was sent
https://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/pipe-...-bottle-trap-with-35mm-pipe-and-flange-p22011

so as Milleniumaire
says its the 32/35mm versions, and you may be better using the mcalpine

here is how mine looks with the Wolseley adapter

Thanks for taking the time to take a photo of your installation ETAF, it looks good and it does look like the flange on your chrome plated bottle trap pipe covers the chrome plated part of the McAlpine adaptor. I'm not sure (it's difficult to tell), if the flange on the 35mm bottle traps I've been looking at would be as wide as yours.

I can still see a small amount of white plastic, but I guess this is because you couldn't cut the existing white plastic pipe and further into the wall, only flush with the tile wall.

... actually, I've just realised, that what I'm seeing on the right is the McAlpine adaptor, then the chrome plated pipe of the bottle trap, which fits straight into the adaptor. So you didn't use the flange that came with the bottle trap pipe.

... actually, I've just realised, that what I'm seeing on the right is the McAlpine adaptor,
NO, i didnt use the mcalpine OR the Flange, the flange would just be a gap between it and the wall and look silly
so the other half was happy with this
to be honest i thought the tiles would have come out further and covered the white
but she was happy and with the radiator and towel, its never seen
as my father-in-law often said, "a blind man would be pleased to see it"
As i posted I used The woresley adapter , and glued onto the existing solvent pipework and the JTM supplied bottle trap
Had i known i could get a bottletrap that fitted , like the mcalpine i would have gone for that

BUT Note I'm a DIYer and not done a lot of this stuff, so the previous posts maybe provide better info

Were I use a flange was in the onsuite - BUT I had full access to the wall either side

Here the pipework already existed and i had no choice as the pipework to the outside was within a wall - which once was an exterior wall and now an internal wall
And i could not change the pipework without a lot of work

NO, i didnt use the mcalpine OR the Flange
The woresley adapter and the JTM bottle trap
BUT Note I'm a DIYer and not done a lot of this stuff, so the previous posts maybe provide better info
Were I use a flange was in the onsuite - BUT I had full access to the wall either side

Here the pipework already existed and i had no choice as the pipework to the outside was within a wall - which once was an exterior wall and now an internal wall
And i could not change the pipework without a lot of work

Thanks for confirming ETAF, that makes sense.

Just to clarify, although you originally provided a link to the Wolseley website, it was a McAlpine adaptor that was shown :D

I'm also a DIY'er, so don't do this type of thing very often, but when I do, it's usually a complete room refurbishment, requiring lots of changes!

Just to clarify, although you originally provided a link to the Wolseley website, it was a McAlpine adaptor that was shown
Oh yes, sorry i thought you meant the mcalpine trap

yes i used the supplied bottletrap from JTM, the adapter mcalpine from woresley and solvent glue onto the existing pipework.
I had edited my previous post - while you replied
should also make a note to self to stop doing that

Thanks, I now have a clearer idea of how to fit the various bottle traps and knowing what my options are I can decide what to purchase, depending on which way I go i.e. the 32mm McAlpine bottle trap, which comes with a 90 deg adaptor, or one of the 35mm bottle traps, for which I will need the McAlpine adaptor.

I'll probably wait until I start the job and have removed all the existing fittings, maybe even open up the wall around the waste pipe, or use my little wireless inspection camera to see what is going on inside the wall :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back