another conservatory insulated roof project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have seen lots of threads, videos & posts all over the internet about a 'warm roof' for the conservatory. I was quoted well over £10k for a guardian roof, which is well out of my budget (4m x 3.5m) (would prefer to knock it down & build an extension if I had deep pockets).

I have seen the DIY routes with quilted insulation & looks within my DIY skills.

However, I thinking about the final finish. I do not want plasterboard.
I have looked at PVC & Soffit boards - but I don't want the white finish. The wood colour finish are triple the price of white soffit & being 30cm wide, would be an expensive mistake if I cut one wrong! So I was wondering if I could use timber softwood cladding that is sold in DIY stores.
My concern is that it is only 8mm, however I am assuming softwood would be a better insulator than 10mm hollow plastic. Just that I have not seen anywhere that used wood cladding instead of PVC or plasterboard & wondering why!

I envision something like a wood chalet / log house look.
Would like to put a small wood burner in at some point & the warm & cosy feel is preferred to the bright & breezy look.

Could I use 8mm softwood cladding for this? or should I maybe board with 3mm ply first? I would start to worry about weight if I went any thicker. - If ply first, then I would need to alter the timber frame plans before I can make a start, so I have cross battens.

Sponsored Links
Forget the finish; plasterboard, wood, plastic etc.. Minimum kingspan (or similar brand) is 120mm. Normally 100mm between the roof aluminium members and then you have to fit timbers below this and put the extra insulation between those. Then your ceiling finish screws to those. If you choose wood, varnish, stain, or paint before fitting as the joins will expand/contract etc.. showing unvarnished, unstained, unpainted parts.

I fit 50mm kingspan below the 100mm kingspan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back