Conservatory roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I've read a few threads on this but none seem cover all my questions.
Basically I have a 5m x 3m flat roof conservatory and usual story baking in the summer freezing in the winter.
So I looked into insulating the roof and found companies that do this by putting up insulation and plasterboarding over. However I don't feel comfortable with all that weight from the roof.

I also saw one which seemed to do the same thing but used that upvc cladding instead of plasterboard and it actually seemed to look quite nice surprisingly. But am I right in this can you use this stuff to hold the insulation up?

I think the insulation to use is called "super quilt" and is 40mm thick foil insulation.

So do I just fix some wooden battens to the frame fix the insulation up then screw the cladding on top?
Do I need to have an air gap between the insulation and roof?

Really would appreciate any help and advice

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The quilt is fitted beneath the existing roof structure and stapled in place followed by battens then the lining.

There is an air gap between the polycarbonate and the insulation.

There was someone about a year ago asking the same questions and saying they were going to use pvc cladding instead of plasterboard, but as is normally the case they never gave any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Where i work we have a trade counter selling all upvc products, recently a few different companies have started doing these jobs, ive spoke to a few of the fitters and the profit on these jobs is unreal! Theyre spending maybe 350 on materials and charging 1200+. They are also doing them in less than a day! I always wonder what it will look like from above? with say? clear poly

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I'm definitely going to go for it in next week or two so I will let you know how it goes and see if I can get some pics.

Just wondering why do you need to put the battens over the insulation? Won't that make it difficult to get them flat?
And also do you just staple the insulation straight to the plastic frame then?

Thanks again

A guy who buys stuff from where i work battens the bars then uses a thin foil and 'foamy sheet stuff' combination next, then battens over the first battens. then uses hollow soffit boards. personally i think it is sh*te but he doing quite a few jobs

Just thought I would update as I promised to. I have now Completed insulating the roof and am really happy with it. I used the Superquilt insulation which was fairly easy to handle and fix up and also I had no trouble screwing through it at all which I had read elsewhere would be difficult as it would wrap around the screw.

I used the cladding over the top which is very lightweight and easy to fix up and I am really pleased with how this looks as I was worried it would look a bit naff.
As far as making a difference to the temperature in the conservatory there is no doubt it has definitely made it noticeably warmer.

All in all very glad I did it.

I have done a few of these I screw 3" cls to underside of rafters then fit kingspan type insulation 50mm between the spars this gives an air gap between polycarb still then upvc hollow soffit over the top . materials are usually around £300 area and it does make a lot of difference the only downside is with clear poly you can see the insulation from outside so you have to cut it accordingly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back