Conservatory roof insulation Celotex Quinntherm or foil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear with me this is my first post so I hope i'm not going to make a tit of myself. We are planning to build a DIY UPVC kit conservatory ourselves, but with a solid insulatied roof (made with conservatory roof compatible super lightweight roof tiles i.e the roof is not part of the kit we will build the roof frame and tile it ourselves).

Having read all those conservatory hot-cold horror stories I want the roof and floor as well insulated as possible.

can anyone offer any advice about what roof insulation is best for this purpose? I am interested in the best possible performance, if its more expensive or trickier to fit then i'll consider it anyway, as I want the conservatory as usable as possible. any insight on the highest performing floor insulation products also gratefully received...!

anyone any experience on using celotex, kingspan or Quinn therm in a conservatory roof, or should I stick to conservatory-specific foil multi layer products? are celotext etc considerably heavier that the foil...of course the answer must be Yes....but is the performance noticeably better? any light shed on this subject would be much appreciated, many thanks. ![/wiki]

Sponsored Links
Stick to Celotex or Kingspan or any of the 'PIR' types of insulation. The foil multi-layers are a waste of time, they are more expensive and just as thick as you need an air gap above an bellow. Celotex and the like are hardly heavy, if that is a serious concern then your roof structure must be woefully under sized and God knows how it will cope if you get a heavy snowfall.

There are better insulations available but really you are getting into the aviation sector where the price rockets!

the most popular option ive seen used is kingspan, but you have to make sure the whole structure is thought through, certain things have to be thought about to make the roof work in the long run. im not even sure myself but ive seen a lot of 'cover ups' and im not very optimistic :confused:

Sponsored Links
I have been looking at a similar thing myself and would love to know how you got on with this.

I have been looking at a lot of options from having the roof replaced to insulating the roof itself and would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back