Another damp issue...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was peeking behind a chair in the living room last night and noticed a patch on the wall in the corner of white and yellow fluffy stuff.

This corner was pulled up as being damp by the building surveyor when we bought the place about a year ago.

The house is 1930s with solid walls.

We had an independent damp survey that said the issue was due to a crack between the wall and the plinth. I had squirted a line of builder's silicone into the crack as a makeshift measure to stop the problem getting any worse, while waiting to externally insulate the whole house (probably next year).

Anyway, also on the exterior of this wall the paintwork is in very bad shape. Lots of it bubbled up and coming away from the wall. Lots of scope for rain to come in behind the paint and soak through. Since we are planning to externally insulate next year I saw little point in repainting.

However with the appearance of fluffy walls, I feel it should be sorted sooner and will look to repaint these sections as soon as I can.

Question: Since the wall is damp, and we're now entering winter, can I use a masonry paint successfully? Or will it just peel away again?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back