Another dark paint thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've been researching painting as I'm new too it. But my wall is defeating me.

It's taking about 5/6 coats of paint. I was using armstead trade then my top coat.

I've tried using a primer / undercoat (nonosense) but takes around 3 coats and is patchy still.

I'm using medium pile Hamilton perfection pro 11inch a 4inch midi, and a cut in brush. Deluxe matt brilliant white is the top coat.

What am I doing wrong lol. I've noticed the Hamilton's dont seem to add much paint?
20220325_075351.jpg
20220325_075358.jpg
20220325_075408.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do all your filling, sand, and then brush the walls with Zinnser Guardz (best stuff on the planet). If your paint is in more than one pot, pour them into a bucket and mix. Wash the pots out and store unused paint in the pots.

Funny enough I did actually gardz the section by the front door but it didnt help with the primer. I'm just going to go for 5 coats 3 primer and 2 dulux. Might by some permawhite and trst a section as I need to do the bathroom anyway. Just weird though how difficult it seems.

I don't if it still exists, but Crown White Obliterating Emulsion was good for covering up colours imo.

Sponsored Links
Why use 3 coats of primer? use your gardz as a primer, then your top coats. the medium pile roller might not help as the walls dont look that smooth, maybe why it looks patchy.
And work like bonni said.

Looks like theres a fair amount of plaster shadows on that wall too.

Sorry what's plaster shadows? is that the filler showing through your talking about? Edit -I think I can see what your talking about on the stairs. They are really old walls dont think theyve been replastered and theres just layers of hell on them.

The wall is covered in painted thick wallpaper. I removed it all in the lounge and replastered but I'm not taking any more paper off, I cant loose anymore of my soul to that lol.

Last edited:
Why use 3 coats of primer? use your gardz as a primer, then your top coats. the medium pile roller might not help as the walls dont look that smooth, maybe why it looks patchy.
And work like bonni said.

It's less coats than the armstead trade I've been using.

Gardz dries clear, not sure what you mean. I also used gardz on the upper wall next to door and it didnt help with the colour coverage. What pile roller would you recommend? I'll try another patch with gardz.

Right if youve been researching painting it will say rubdown, prime, fill, rubdown, spot prime, undercoat, top coat. on walls will say two caots top coat.
The gardz is your primer so should only require two coats on top,
Use a thicker pile roller to fill in the dips in plaster.
And try to complete all the walls in that order, youve got some bare walls, some with holes in, some with fresh filler, so some parts will have five coats and where youve filled just four or three so that is why it looks patchy.
Still dont see how three coats of primer is using less paint when one should do it.

Right if youve been researching painting it will say rubdown, prime, fill, rubdown, spot prime, undercoat, top coat. on walls will say two caots top coat.
The gardz is your primer so should only require two coats on top,
Use a thicker pile roller to fill in the dips in plaster.
And try to complete all the walls in that order, youve got some bare walls, some with holes in, some with fresh filler, so some parts will have five coats and where youve filled just four or three so that is why it looks patchy.
Still dont see how three coats of primer is using less paint when one should do it.

Cheers for that, I've been doing some stuff wrong then I thought I could use just the mist coat to seal the surface after I filled and sanded the wall.

As the blue bits was painted wallpaper I thought it wouldnt need to be primed. So I was just going to use the cheap trade paint to build layers of opacity, then top coat.

When that didnt seem to add much opacity I tried this nononesense undercoat / primer. Bit better but still alot of work.

I've added some gardz to a section of wall this morning and I'll give it a test, I've just ran out of gardz so if it works I'll grab some more. Hard to find in shops, so I get it online.

Do you need to lightly sand the gardz for adhesion? Cheers.

You can get plaster shadows when the plastering/ filler is uneven. If the plastering has dips in it then when light hits the bumps it can create shadows.
What you've done should have really obliterated any colour showing through though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back