Dark paint easy to scuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently decided to paint my bedroom a very dark shade of grey. Here are the quick facts:

• The wall is already painted in a light matt emulsion, no primer was used.
  • Painted two coats with Johnstones Trade Acrylic Matt emulsion. The paint goes on the wall very well and looks great.
  • When finished, fingerprints, handprints, water marks, rubbing a surface slightly hard with a cloth all leave marks very easily on the wall.
  • These marks can't really be rid of easily, wet cloth does help, but then the area that is wiped looks slightly different to the surrounding areas.

I have done some research and it seems dark matt paints have a habit of doing this and paint with more of a gloss (eggshell etc) would be easier to care for when scuffed. I tried to do the same scuffing and marking on the wall in another bedroom which has a medium colour paint, it did the same but it's less visible as it seems to hide it better. And lighter paint such as white/beige would be even better at hiding scuffs.

I wanted to ask if this is the experience of everyone her who has used dark paints? Is this an issue with the brand itself, or just the type/colour of paint? Any suggestions on how to prevent such things happening?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Yes Matt paints are a nightmare for this, although Dulux don't appear to suffer from it to bad in my experience.

Anyway, the problem is exsaberate by the dark colour.

If you want to stick with Matt get the scrub able versions like crown easy clean.

Also with dark colours be careful with silk and soft sheen, they will show off any imperfections in the wall. The silk and sofsheen in any shade does but mixed with a dark colour it's optimally worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back