Another decking thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New member here. Signed up for some general information regarding a deck

Bought my first home and sorted the majority of the inside renovation and now I’ve started the jobs in the garden.

Right at the back of the garden I have a lovely sun trap which currently has concrete slabs and a few ordinary paving slabs attached to it in a type of “U” shape. However this is an incredibly ugly eyesore (however the slabs are all solid and all level)

I would like to build a deck over these patio slabs but I have a few concerns.

My deck would be around 2.5metre squared. And I would like it to sit only slightly higher than the patio slabs so <150mm including deck boards. I don’t have a problem building the base but despite using pressure treated wood can this be laid directly on weed control membrane above the concrete slabs? I don’t fancy excavating the entire area to use concrete posts and feel this is slightly overkill for a 2.5 mSQ Deck? Or shall I use small spacers between the concrete slabs and the timber? I was thinking of using either 2x2 or 2x4 tanalised timber for the base frame.

TIA

Sponsored Links
You could recycle the slabs you have, or get some used roof slates and place between membrane and the underside of the bearers.

Blup

Why do you need a membrane if you are laying the deck directly on top of the slabs? I’m soon going to be doing the same but with a much bigger deck. Just going to have the posts/base sitting directly on the concrete slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back