Another door latch question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m fitting some door latch’s to some new doors.
The latch part comes in two parts, the body and a finishing plate, see photo. The latch has two round edges, which is 25mm radius same as the main hole.
Do I use a 25mm spade bit to rebate the latch part and the fit the plate on top, so it’s not flush with the door or rebate the whole body and plate?
Thanks
59C349E8-38DE-4BF5-B870-05646BA25359.jpeg

Sponsored Links
snapfish, good evening.

Conventionally the "face plate" is rebated as well as the locks front face.

If you do not, then the surface mounted "face" can / will snag on [say] a woolen sleeve passing the door.

Ken.

Thanks Ken
Just seems strange to have it in two separate items and not one like others I’ve seen.

strange to have it in two separate items

Agree, some latches come with a finished face, but if you look at them, the shiny face is retro fitted to the latch.

Most if not all lever lock / latches the lock itself is an "industrial process" the nice shiny bit is made elsewhere, that is what it is supposed to be, just a nice shiny front face that is the visible part of the device as such it can be made of a more "expensive" material

Ken

Sponsored Links
You may as well just cut the recess out square to accommodate the latch and plate. Otherwise to be posh, use an endmill bit not a spade as the centre spike on a space will leave a massive hole in the middle and you may not get the latch screws in.

Separate plates are to allow for different styles or materials - chrome/brass etc and the better ones with their small grub screws for removal for painting without disturbing the latch.

"end mill bit"? Do you mean a Forstner bit by any chance? Agree with you about the massive hole resulting from using a spade bit or an auger bit making them unsuitable

"end mill bit"? Do you mean a Forstner bit ...
I do!

I've always understood they were known by both names (plus hinge cutter), but I've just googled "end mill" and it throws up the wrong images :rolleyes:

I've only ever bought two, about 35 or so years ago so they probably changed the names since. :cautious:

I thought end mills were milling machine tooling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back